Just Labradors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days, he's peed in the house everyday. Lastnight he peed and pooped, I cleaned that up this morning, and he peed again before I left for work.

Any ideas? I don't think it's a UTI since he's pooping, too. :(

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Maybe pushing that "last out" a little later will solve the problem, or feeding dinner earlier? And picking up the water dish at night. The only other thing I can think of is to start crating him again.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I would get a complete check up done to make sure it isn't anything physical, and provided that everything checked out fine in that area I'd put him back in the crate and go back to basics with regards to housetraining, as you've had soiling-in-the-house issues before, yes? Maybe even enlist the help of a local trainer.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly? I think he's being spiteful. He did this once before, when he realized Macy was staying. I haven't walked him at night the last couple of days. He won't budge with the prong on, and he's too strong for me to use the martingale. So he hasn't gone. Paul was going to do it lastnight, but he fell asleep.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Well, while I don't doubt that dogs experience complex emotions, it's much more likely that the major change in routine (adding a third dog) threw his already shaky housetraining (I remember you posting about that) for a loop. ;)

He could just be a dog who is very dependent on routine (not uncommon) and not being walked when he usually is the last few days could have thrown him off.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
threw his already shaky housetraining
Shaky is putting it mildly! It took 2 years before he was completely trained. :eek:

Macy has been with us 1 year already, so it was about a year ago when this happened last. The only thing I can think of that is throwing him off again is the walking thing. I hope that's all it is. :(

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I agree with Kate, I think he's dependent on routine and that's thrown him off. Have him checked for UTI, and if all is clear physically, go back to the crate and keep his routine the same.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I agree dogs don't have the same emotions as humans but they can get their noses out of joint if not getting the attention they need. I'd suggest 1) a vet visit to rule out health issues, and 2) a very GOOD obedience class or something where you are more in charge of him. Just cleaning up after a 2+ yo who decides he's using the house for a bathroom doesn't cut it with me. I can tolerate the occasional "terd" slipping out w/ a old geezer just fine, but a 2 yo? No way! :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Windy, he's 4. :eek:
He's been through basic obedience and advanced obedience. He's just a stubborn brat when he wants to be.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I think it might be the routine thing. My sisters dog was like that - She would only go on walks, and if the routine got screwed up - well too late she'd have to go in the house

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
At 4 years old I don't think it would be incontinence or anything like that.. so my guess would be the routine thing, too..? If you can get the routine back to normal-ish and he stops, then obviously that's what it is.. if it doesn't stop, then crating seems like the best thing so he knows you aren't messing around!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I agree with Kate, I think he's dependent on routine and that's thrown him off. Have him checked for UTI, and if all is clear physically, go back to the crate and keep his routine the same.
i agree with kate, too.
penny is housetrained, but not with high reliability, specifically when her routine is altered. anytime her regular routine is disrupted, i have to be vigilent about extra potty breaks outside, where i have to actually tell her to go potty and make sure to watch that she takes care of business instead of just opening the door and letting the dogs out. if i'm lazy about this task, penny will have accidents inside the house she would normally not have.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where i have to actually tell her to go potty and make sure to watch that she takes care of business instead of just opening the door and letting the dogs out. if i'm lazy about this task, penny will have accidents inside the house she would normally not have.
That's a good idea. I let them out at 4:14 this morning and went back to bed. He knows "go pee pee", so I will try that.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
For what it's worth, I have to do the same with Peanut that Sunjin does with Penny. She prefers to "go" on walks, but if I'm not able to get them out for a walk I have to take her out and watch her to make sure she goes. I use treats to encourage her to hurry up, and that helps a lot.

Since she was housetrained in an apartment and I took her out at scheduled times, she never learned to ask. She will now when she really, REALLY has to go, but if it's not urgent, she won't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts