Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was paying for Tal's vet visit today, I overheard the receptionist ordering flowers and saying something that led me to believe someone had to put their beloved pet down. Sure enough that was the case. I didn't get a chance to ask what...dog...cat...breed...but she did tell me he was 14 y/o. I thought it was really nice that they do that...acknowledge the passing.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We send out cards and make a donation in the pet's name to the Morris Animal Foundation. Try to lessen the blow of such a hard time :(

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
That is really nice and it does mean a lot. When we were going to put down my cat the vet was going to come to the house. Unfortunately she didn't wait and passed before the schedule we had chosen. Anyway, I called the vet and let him know. THe next morning I had a really nice card and flowers at the door.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My vet also sends out sympathy cards. Usually one of the staff sends out the card. But, when I lost my last Lab this past November (which was the 4th pet I had lost in a year), my vet wrote out the sympathy card personally. I thought that was very nice of him.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Our vet was the greatest when we had to have Annie put down. There are two of them over there.....both of them cried with us.

And the orthopedic surgeon was actually in California when it happened. The day after we put her down, he called to check on her and give them some orders to change some of the meds. They told him we had put her down the day before. He called me and cried over the phone. He was devastaed. I was really surprised. I don't know why....I guess I thought things like this would be routine for them. But he said that he thought Annie was so special. The day/evening of her marathon 9-hour surgery, after he finished, he and the vet put her in her cage with all of her tubes and stuff. They got her all all comfortable, and he wanted to check one more thing. So he literally crawled into her cage with her and was leaning over her. In all of her grogginess and stupor and pain, she lifted up her head and licked him on is face and laid back down and went to sleep again. He said from then on, Annie had his heart!! :)

The vet made a donation in Annie's memory to some foundation over at the university vet school hospital. It was very touching.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
My vet also sent a card after my Mocha passed which I thought was very kind. Then about 3 weeks later...I got a package in the mail...it was a ceramic oval plaque..."In Memory of Mocha" with a beautiful poem!
I was very touched by their thoughtfulness....but then again...they always call after a visit...just to check and see that everything is ok ;D

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
That's sweet. Before the dogs, I took my cats to a cats-only vet and that's where I continued to take Alexander, my oldest kitty whom I had to put to sleep at the end of August because his cancer had advanced so far. They sent me the nicest card and made two donations to vet research foundations in his name, and then they called a few days later to see how I was and the other cats were doing. I was really touched. Not sure what my current vet does, but I imagine they're at least as thoughtful - they sent a get well card to Chamois after her spay surgery.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
They sent me flowers when Crash passed. Part of me thought it was a nice gesture, but you know, I was so grief-stricken. Another part of me sort of resented the flowers. Do you know what I mean? :-\ :'( I didn't want flowers, I wanted my Crash back. Sigh. Part of it was the circumstances under which he passed: Suddenly, after failed surgery to try to save his life.

Anyway, yes, it is very nice that they do this. Your story just made me remember how the flowers made me feel at the time. :-[

The thing that made me feel the best that someone did was, a friend of Kevin's made a donation in Crash's name to the Humane Society of the United States. I got a nice card saying that a donation had been made, and his name would be added to their list of "angels." That really touched me.

Another friend of Kevin's (wow, Kevin has some nice friends now that I think of it) sent me a small stuffed dog. It was a plain brown dog, just the color of Crash. Oh, I hugged that stuffed dog for an hour after I opened the package. :'( I slept with it for months. I still keep "Crash" in our bedroom, on his own little pillow in a small basket. I love it so much. He said he looked for weeks and weeks to find a stuffed puppy that looked like Crash. :angel:

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AngusFangus said:
They sent me flowers when Crash passed. Part of me thought it was a nice gesture, but you know, I was so grief-stricken. Another part of me sort of resented them. Do you know what I mean? :-\ :'( I didn't want flowers, I wanted my Crash back. Sigh.

Anyway, yes, it is very nice that they do this. Your story just made me remember how the flowers made me feel at the time. :-[

The thing that made me feel the best that someone did was, a friend of Kevin's made a donation in Crash's name to the Humane Society of the United States. I got a nice card saying that a donation had been made, and his name would be added to their list of "angels." That really touched me.
I think I understand what you mean. It is really hard to know what to do in that situation. And each of us goes thru the mourning process differently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts