Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard them meowing last night so this morning went looking for them with milk and cans of cat food. They came running out meowing like crazy. They were so scared and hungry. I would guess to be about 8-10 weeks old. There are 5 of them. They would not come up to me so I had to put the food down and walk about 5 feet away. They ran right to the milk first. The little black kitty was so cute when it looked at me and had white milk all over its face.
1 - Black (sleek fur)
1 - Siamese with huge blue eyes (little puff ball)
1 - Orange (this one is really much larger than the others)
2 - Black/White (adorable)

Now......what do I do with them? I called the vet and he said trap them, bring them in and he will spay/neuter vaccinate and then return them to the barn. It will cost $500.00. Hubby says NO WAY!

For right now, I will just keep feeding them. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. They are adorable.
1. We live in the country on 80 acres with many acres around us.
2. Hubby says I can keep one. I would want the black one:clap2:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I already have 3 cats and all of mine are fixed, so they are not from mine. That happens in the country. I'm just afraid that if they don't get taken care of they will breed or get eaten by something.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Worked summers on farms as a kid. One year, we found a litter in the barn about as you did. Put out milk for them with the same result.

I set a trap, box propped with a stick and milk underneath. Got one!!

Reached hand under to grab him. Ouch!

Pulled hand out with kitten's canines sunk into my finger right through the nail and wouln't let go.

No more trapping, and no attempt to domesticate the wild beasts.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I called the vet and he said trap them, bring them in and he will spay/neuter vaccinate and then return them to the barn. It will cost $500.00. Hubby says NO WAY!
Too bad. I would do it anyway. Poor little things.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Look to see if you have any rescue groups near you that do feral cat rescue (trap-neuter/spay-release). They may have access to vets that will give them a break on cost for the same things that your vet will do. This way you're at least breaking the cycle of more unwanted cats.

They're also young enough that it may still be possible to socialize them so they are adoptable pets.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been calling around. I found out that there is a place that will take them and spay/neuter them for $40 each. They also said the best thing to do is to release them back where they came from. Vet said "Its that season" March, April, May!

OHHHH I remember when I did this before.......stupid little wild orange cat bit my hand as I was grabbing it and I had to go through a series of rabie shots. Why did I not remember this!!

I am going to go home after work and get the camera and post some pictures. Can't wait to see the little cuties. I want them sooooo bad. My husband said I can keep 1.

They are going to be easy to socialize because they are really young.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Looking forward to pics.
So where's mama? (or are they at the age when mama is done caring for them, so she's left them to fend for themselves?)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Call your local animal control and Humane Society. We had a ferral cat problem in my neighborhood. Got together with the neighbors had a couple garage sales and started trapping. Back then it was $20 a cat..now it is $35 plus I paid the $15 for rabies shots and pain meds in Nov when we took one in that was tame enough to handle but belonged to no one to the Humane Society. Animal Control will do them for free if they are having a clinic that day and you get there early enough to be one of the first 30 people. Problem is trapping them on the day I can get an appointment. The low cost spay and neuter clinic charges $50 and will do them any day M-F that we can trap them as they are ferral and they know you have to bring them in when you can catch them.

I would suggest doing them all at once if you can as that way they will all be dopey and not subject to attack from the other ones. I keep them in a large dog crate outside for 24 hours after surgery as Dad is so allergic cats cannot be in the garage. I put water, food and litter box in there plus an old towel prior to bringing them home. I try to bring them home while they are still sleeping so I don't get clawed when taking them out of the carrier. I put their pain meds inside a ball of tuna and hope they eat them.

By the way we rarely have ferral cats any more as I stopped the breeding. The ones we have wander into the neighborhood and if they stay more than a week we get them fixed.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Heard them meowing last night so this morning went looking for them with milk and cans of cat food. They came running out meowing like crazy. They were so scared and hungry. I would guess to be about 8-10 weeks old. There are 5 of them. They would not come up to me so I had to put the food down and walk about 5 feet away. They ran right to the milk first. The little black kitty was so cute when it looked at me and had white milk all over its face.
1 - Black (sleek fur)
1 - Siamese with huge blue eyes (little puff ball)
1 - Orange (this one is really much larger than the others)
2 - Black/White (adorable)

Now......what do I do with them? I called the vet and he said trap them, bring them in and he will spay/neuter vaccinate and then return them to the barn. It will cost $500.00. Hubby says NO WAY!

For right now, I will just keep feeding them. I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow. They are adorable.
1. We live in the country on 80 acres with many acres around us.
2. Hubby says I can keep one. I would want the black one:clap2:
That cheap for 5 cats. I'm not sure that true barn cats make good pets. Although having said that my hubby adopted a barn cat as a kitten and she was very friendly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. Took pictures of the babies and couldn't download at work because didn't have the software on my computer. ?? Anyway.....They seem to be getting more friendly. They hear my voice and come running. I found mommy today. She is a black kitty. At least I think it's the mommy, she is much larger, but really skittish. I'm going to be fostering these kitties until they become friendly and adoptable. Working with a company called Feline Network. I have a spare "garage" that I will keep them in once I trap them because I don't want them near Maggie and my other kitties. Feline Network will give them their shots and spay/neuter them and find them homes.

Well, I will try to post pictures tonight from home.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Good for you. Sounds like they landed in the right person's barn and are now getting a shot at having great lives!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have pictures, but for some reason they are not able to post. Did JL change the way you post pix?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts