Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was rubbing him at the base of his tail and I discovered a small lump/bump. It's beneath the skin and moves freely. It's not terribly large - when I pinch it between my fingers there is about 1/4" space between my fingers, and this includes skin and fur.

It's a bit to the side of the base of his tail, maybe 1/4". Slightly lower, but not low enough to be associated with anal glands (I think).

Does this sound like a lipoma? Isn't he a bit young for these (he'll be three in August)?

Should I take him in and have it looked at? Or just watch it for a while?

TIA

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree that he is too young for a lipoma. If it were me, I would have it checked out -- let's see what the others have to say. Lumps and bumps always set me on edge a bit.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
If it's moving around freely, I think I'd just watch it Connie. If it gets bigger I'd take him in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My Dexter's only 5.5 years old and he's got 4 of them. One of them he's had since as far back as I can remember. I think I would just watch it. If it stays the same, I would ask at my next vet appt. If it changes, then I would have it checked.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'm a "run to the vet and have it checked" kind of person...but then, I also have a tendancy to overreact sometimes. ;D

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I always thought that lipoma's were flatter, more of a bump than a lump.

I'd watch the lump and mention it to the vet at his next appointment. Mia had a lump that I thought was part of a tick that I must have missed, but it turned out to be something else, can't remember what. It was no biggie though - something like an infected hair follicle. It grew to be pretty big though.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Its probably a histiocytoma (sp)- Bear had one last year on his head - it went away after about 3 weeks. I did bring him to the vet because I was taking any chances.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I agree, watch it. Windsor, our Shih Tzu gets them then they go away, then one appears then it goes away......... we have hem checked at the vet's now and again .......

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Lord knows Buddy manufactures these **** things. I was told it if moves freely, it's safe to assume it's ok.
If it starts to grow, then I'd take him in.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Watch for a bit....see if it gets any larger or seems to be causing him pain. I wouldn't take him to the vet unless it does start to grow or cause pain. But definitely point it out at the next appt, ya know?
Holly had a lump on her tail for a couple of years....they chose not to do anything about it until just recently. It turned out to be damaged hair follicles, and her hair was growing on the inside! When
they opened it up, there was just a large wad of red hair in there! :laugh:

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure what it could be, but just wanted to send good thoughts that it's nothing and goes away soon.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm a worry wart too. When Zoe had a lump (about the size of a small pea), I took her in. It turned out to be a hystiocytoma and went away, like Eric said, in about 3 weeks.

Hope it's nothing serious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts