Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found a dog this morning(PIC)

on the way to work. Black pug mix, young and he has been taken care of. Neutered, toe nails trimmed, friendly, and he liked to ride in the car. No collar.

He is a cutie. Anyway he was running right down the middle of the highway!! I stopped and pulled over the first time and he started to run to my car then he stopped...still in the middle of the road. I drove over the hill and turned around and went back and found a better spot to pull over and he ran to my car and I got him in there.

Ok now he is at work with me but why do I feel guilty about taking him? I know he has to belong to someone. I went to a house near where I found him and asked the lady if he was hers or anyone she knew and she said no.

I will take him to the shelter to be scanned for a chip then go from there.

How do you know when to pick up a dog and when not to is my question. The area is rural where I found him.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
If the dog is in danger -- and I'd say running in the middle of a roadway qualifies -- and there is no sign of an owner and there is no ID, I will always pick up.

I usually work thru the nearest vet office to where I find the dog because I assume (rightly or wrongly) that that's where a searching family/owner is most likely to begin.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I just go by the preservation of life. If he was at risk running around (of being hit by a car, etc) then I would also have picked him up. Animal control should be able to take him for you, they will usually hold them for a period of time, giving his owner's the chance to find him.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Awwww, I think you did the right thing! What if you'd done nothing and then seen him on the side of the road on your way home? :( If you can't find his owner, would you keep him?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awwww, I think you did the right thing! What if you'd done nothing and then seen him on the side of the road on your way home? :( If you can't find his owner, would you keep him?
Well I would keep every stray dog if it was up to me:D A lady at work already wants him if I can't find his owner.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Well it sounds like he's a loved pet, so make sure you look really hard before letting that lady take him home.

I would at least call animal control and let them know you found him, give them his description and your contact info in case his owners call looking for him. I would also let the local vet offices know, as dweck suggested.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I think you definitely did the right thing picking him up, so don't feel guilty about that. He could have very easily been hit by a car.

I would probably take him into the local vets' offices. They can scan him for a chip there. They also may recognize him. Especially if one of their patients has called them to say their dog is missing.

Then also call animal control like mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You did the right thing. :) Hopefully you can find his people.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
In this economy, beloved pets become unnecessary expenses. I hope the little guy wasn't dumped in the countryside to fend for himself.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
You might want to contact the local police department where you found him - the owner might have left contact info there.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I took him to the shelter and she scanned him...no chip. Again took all the info and my phone number. I emailed local vet offices all the info.

No local police dept in that area...rural town.

Now I will wait.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Oh he's cute.

Did you leave him at the shelter? Or did you take him with you??

You did the right thing. If you hadn't picked him up, he'd probably be dead by now. I hope his owners are found quickly!!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I go by the "save them first, ask questions later" rule. That's why we have Scamp.

He's a cute little guy!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
OMG!!! Look at what a cutie he is.

When Ralphie was gone the people that had him saw the ad I had placed in the paper. I would place an ad in the found section and look in the lost section as well.

Calling the vets, police departments, animal shelters and pet food place around there is a good idea too.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts