Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have one? Pros/Cons Etc.? We like the Explorers size-wise, but cost-wise the Escape seems more practical. Would appreciate your input if you have any experience with these.....good or bad. :) Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I currently have a Ford Explorer and was looking at Escapes when I was looking to buy. I went with the Explorer for the size and 3 dogs!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had an Escape for almost 6 years. I love it! It's perfect for what I need. It easily holds 4-5 average size adults plus room for lots of stuff in the back. My husband is 6'3" with big feet (size 13) and found my previous cars too cramped, both as passenger and driver, but he loves the Escape too. With the back seat folded down there's room for even more cargo. I have about a 2-1/2 hour round trip commute to work, and it's really comfortable. I got the model with leather seats (dog hair resistant) and a moonroof. I also have 4 wheel drive, which has come in handy in the New England winters. I've never been had a problem driving through snow or on ice. The interior isn't fancy but it's easy to clean and it's held up well.

Pros: Pretty much what I've written above

Cons: The stock tires when I bought it were Continental Contritracs - very noisy. I put up with them for 5 years but recently replaced them with Michelins, which made a big difference. There is a certain amount of road noise too, although I understand that Ford has addressed that in later models. The gas mileage isn't great, but I have a bad commute. I mostly drive in and out of Boston on secondary roads, and get stuck in traffic a lot. My mileage is about 19-20 mpg. Highway mileage is about 23-24 mpg.

Repairs: I keep the car well maintained and have regular oil changes. The only real problem I've had is that several of the coils had to be replaced after the car was about 4 years old. However, my car is parked outside and we live near the ocean (wet and windy), which may have caused the coils to go sooner than they would in a drier climate. I have about 70K miles on the car now and it's been relatively trouble free.

I'd definitely buy another one, but the next one will be a hybrid!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We had an Exploder. It was a nice truck cosmetically, and space-wise it was awesome. It could hold a full size fridge, or a 6ft aquarium with stand...just a ton of stuff. Lots of room for the pups, too. Pricewise it isn't much more than the Escape and gas mileage isn't bad...I think we averaged 21/22.

The bad...it was a piece of junk. When it drove it drove good, but it had major mechanical problems almost from the start (and we bought it new). We weren't sorry to see it go when we traded it in less than 4 years later for a Honda Civic. I will NEVER, EVER buy a Ford again.

I never test drove an escape but sat in one to see what I thought. It was very small and I felt cramped behind the wheel, especially compared to the Explorer and the price. I'd get a Honda CR-V over an Escape any day, personally, but I have never had issues with any Honda I've owned.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
My cousin has an Escape and loves it. She's on her second one. She lives in Buffalo where it snows alot.

My son in law has one and hates it. They've had to replace the engine three times, there is still something wrong with it. The Ford garage can't figure out what it is. They tried the lemon law thing and can't do that because of some reason or other, I'm not sure of. It is 4WD but he says it is crappy in the snow.

So those are the only two people that I know that own one. Flip a coin.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think that is the problem with Fords...you might get one that is great and lasts you 200k miles. Or, you might get a crappy POS. But you won't know until it's too late.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I think that is the problem with Fords...you might get one that is great and lasts you 200k miles. Or, you might get a crappy POS. But you won't know until it's too late.
I think you're right Allie. My hubby's always had Fords, so did my Dad. They were all good until the last truck we just traded in. It was a piece of crap, nickle and dimed us to death until August and it was gonna be another $750 to fix something and we just shelled out $1800 in the spring for stuff. My husband said no more and went and bought a new one. It's fine so far, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry just saw this question.

I've owned my Escape for a little over two years now and I love it, small enough to get around a city easily but handles my two dogs with room to spare. I originally bought the Escape for winter weather, it's 4 wheel drive, when I lived in Indianapolis and it did great up to about a foot of snow. If I had better tires than the original manufacturer tires I would have had no problems in deeper snow. I still find it fun to drive and so far I haven't had any major problems, I have almost 65k miles and I've moved to Texas but I do expect to have it for another few years and I'll probably buy another.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Sorry just saw this question...
Me, too.
We have a 2004 Escape that we bought used in 2007 and love it. It handles like a dream, and is a blast to drive. The only down side is the leather seats. If we were to buy new, we wouldn't get leather. The plus to them, tho, is the front ones are heated (which I love when my back is hurting). I don't like them in the summer. I was putting a towel on the seat and a huge t shirt over the back of the seat. Now we have a cheapo seat cover- basicaly a towel with an opening for the head rest to go through. I fold down the driver's side back seat and fit a 400 Vari Kennel beautifuly.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm just checking in and saw this - I have a 2009 Escape. 2WD, cloth interior, sunroof, SYNC. I like it. It's my company car and I drive a lot. It has been very, very reliable. It is fun to drive (not sports car fun, but better than a sedan fun).

The only downside for us is that 4 adults and 2 Labs is a no-go. It's either the grown kids in the back seat OR the dogs. So - when we went on vacation last summer we had to take 2 cars.

eta - The 2 WD has been more than adequate in the snow.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
...The only downside for us is that 4 adults and 2 Labs is a no-go. It's either the grown kids in the back seat OR the dogs. So - when we went on vacation last summer we had to take 2 cars.
Yeah, those are the times I miss the mini van. The only kid we have at home now is Caleb, tho. But, you should have seen us getting Ken's parents and my mother settled into the back seat last summer to visit Ken's niece. It was like an I Love Lucy episode getting all the seniors into the back seat and buckled.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. We're used to bigger vehicles, so the Escape would be an adjustment. For a relatively small vehicle I didn't get the feeling of being cramped at all though. Haven't tried driving one yet, but we had a look at the local Ford dealership and I sat in one. Leg room seemed okay. Neither of us is very tall. The one we looked at had dark colored cloth seats. I can imagine they'd be covered with yellow lab fur pretty quick, but that's going to be the same in any car. :) The Explorers seemed quite a bit more expensive, but I guess it depends partly on what they have for options. The extra room would be nice. It kind of sounds from the replies like people either love or hate their Escapes. Hmmm.....will have to do some thinking about this.

For those who bought new....would you recommend going for the extended warranty?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We only paid ~22k for our Explorer XLT in 2003...I think it was regularly ~32k but got a lot of rebates. The escapes aren't much less than that, are they?

I guess it would depend on what the extended warranty covers and if it is worth it. I've never gotten one for any of my cars.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For what we're looking at there does seem to be quite a difference in price between the Escapes and the Explorers.

I'm just curious about the different options with the Escapes. I see that there is a cargo package that includes a lockable storage box in the rear and a shade that you can pull over the rear area to cover things. The lockable box looks fairly small, but might be handy. Does anyone have that option and if yes do you find it useful? I'm also wondering about the moon roof.....is this a must have option? Any other recommended options or ones that you feel aren't here nor there?

MicksMom - You mentioned the 400 Vari-Kennel fitting nicely behind the driver's seat. Do you secure it somehow to keep it from sliding around?

Thanks again everyone for your help. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I ask at work what our courier thought of the one she drives 200 miles a day and she loves it. It is a 2009 hybrid and she couldn't say enough good about it. She says it is peppy and handles city traffic like a champ. She says she also had it in snow and ice when she has made the drive to the White Mountains sometimes and liked it then but as she says that experience is limited.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ask at work what our courier thought of the one she drives 200 miles a day and she loves it. It is a 2009 hybrid and she couldn't say enough good about it. She says it is peppy and handles city traffic like a champ. She says she also had it in snow and ice when she has made the drive to the White Mountains sometimes and liked it then but as she says that experience is limited.
Thanks. It seems like more people like them than don't.

For what we're looking at there does seem to be quite a difference in price between the Escapes and the Explorers.

I'm just curious about the different options with the Escapes. I see that there is a cargo package that includes a lockable storage box in the rear and a shade that you can pull over the rear area to cover things. The lockable box looks fairly small, but might be handy. Does anyone have that option and if yes do you find it useful? I'm also wondering about the moon roof.....is this a must have option? Any other recommended options or ones that you feel aren't here nor there?

MicksMom - You mentioned the 400 Vari-Kennel fitting nicely behind the driver's seat. Do you secure it somehow to keep it from sliding around?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I'm just curious about the different options with the Escapes. I see that there is a cargo package that includes a lockable storage box in the rear and a shade that you can pull over the rear area to cover things. The lockable box looks fairly small, but might be handy. Does anyone have that option and if yes do you find it useful? ...
We don't have the lock box, but we do have the shade. We use it a lot when we're shopping- if it's not in the garage. Before we got my truck, I was using the Escape to go to class, and took the shade out to put the crate in (it was easier to see out of then the truck I had at the time). We realized we forgot to put it back when we were Christmas shopping. LOL...[/quote]

...I'm also wondering about the moon roof.....is this a must have option? Any other recommended options or ones that you feel aren't here nor there?...
We love the moon/sun roof. The only thing I would suggest if you get one is to get a deflector for it. When the sun roof is opened (the one that slides all the way back, maybe that's the moon roof?) sometimes the sun shines righ down into your face and makes it hard to see. Our Escape is the Limited version, so came with all the bells and whistles (we bought it used). If you get leather seats, make sure you the front ones have the heat- that leather is awfully cold in the winter!

... MicksMom - You mentioned the 400 Vari-Kennel fitting nicely behind the driver's seat. Do you secure it somehow to keep it from sliding around?...
Our Escape came with a cargo mat and "cleets" that stick to the mat with velcro. I push the crate as far foward as I can, and use the cleets at the corners to hold it still and against the back of the passenger side back seat (it's a 60/40 split bench).

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks MicksMom. We took one for a short test drive today. It was nice and seemed to have lots of power. We're used to big vehicles, so I knew it was going to feel quite small in comparison. It did feel like there was ample leg room though in both the front and rear seats. The one they have on the lot doesn't have the moon roof (not sure what the difference is between a sun roof and a moon roof, but they list the Escape one as a moon roof :)) We looked at one in a car that they had on the lot and it has a shade that you can pull shut to block the sun. Is that what you mean by deflector? The moon roof both slid opened or popped up....whichever you wanted. Seems like a really nice feature for hot days. Years ago I remember a friend having a problem with her's leaking (not an Escape), but not sure how common that type of problem is.

Another one that they had there had the lock box and shade for rear cargo area. (though none of the other features we'd like unfortunately) The lock box/cargo box isn't big, but not tiny either. Might be handy for something. The ones we're looking at aren't the limited additions, but do have some of the extras. No leather seats or heaters or navigation systems.

The driver's side seat had power adjustments, but not the front passenger side. Oh and one of them had something called ambient lighting....which apparently is a few extra lights that you can change the color of. Not sure how much one would use that.

They apparenly have another one at their other dealership that has the moon roof and cargo box, and a map light instead of the sunglasses holder. I really like the color of the one without the moon roof and cargo box so it's a bit of a toss up.

The interior design is okay, but very basic. I guess maybe the limited addition would have more padding.....like on the doors etc.

Do you find the visibility good....especially out the rear windows? I'm used to a big open interior.....very different, but I guess it's something you get used to.

Thanks again for your input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts