Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a pool, do you allow your lab free access when you are not at home? Or do you only allow them in the pool when you are there?

I'm in the process of purchasing a home with a pool and hot tub and just thought about it. I was thinking that it may not be a good idea for Maggie to have free run of the back yard while we are at work. The yard is 3/4 of an acre so there will be plenty of space, but I'm just wondering what you would do.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I wouldn't. A close friend of ours has a pool and had an older Boston terrier. She didn't realize he had gotten out one afternoon *while she was home*, and went outside to find him in the pool, drowned. He fell in and couldn't get out. It was devastating. :( She always had been so careful and conscientious with him.

Even with a bigger dog, accidents happen. Why take the risk?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so sad. I guess, if we get the house I will have to make an area for Maggie during the day that will be gated off so I won't have to worry about her. (even though she is a great swimmer)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
No. My pool is fenced seperately from the yard. They do not have free access to the pool, and they only are in the pool if I am, or if I'm doing yard work and can see them.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
CJ only gets to go in the pool if one of us is out there with him. I'm afraid he might panic and forget where the steps are or - well anything, really.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Guthrie is not allowed free access....it would be terrible if he did. Not only because it might be dangerous but also because sometimes you are not prepared for a big wet dog.
Our pool is not fenced but he knows he is not allowed in without the OK command I keep the gate up next to the steps because he will "play" on the first step if he is given the opportunity.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I don't have a pool, but I do have a huge (7 acre) pond. I had an Invisible Fence installed to keep him out. He can go in if I walk him down there and tell him it is ok, but otherwise he can't. We don't leave him outside when we aren't home, so that isn't a concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes we have a pool and Sadie is in it anytime she wants to. Yeah she makes a mess of the french doors when she shakes but hey labs are water dogs. I sure am not going to put a fence around the pool.
See my post below this one about swimming with your lab.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I don't have a pool, but I can't even imagine thinking it would be okay for the dog to swim when no one was around in case they had trouble. Every day I would sit at work worried I would find something terrible when I came home.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Pools are off limits unless I'm there and only when I want them in the pool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts