Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.

I know Labs differ greatly in their preferences and traits.

My good Bess insistently wanted her nose as close to my face as possible so (it felt) I was always breathing second-hand Lab breath.

My good Puff prefers her head near my feet (or her butt pressing against my legs' calves) and usually resists staying for any time with her head near mine -- even when I want it.

BUT -- Puff insistently moves further and further toward MY side of the bed so that there's only a narrow space between the edge and my body but there's a vast amount of bed space on the other side of Puff.

From time to time I order her to "stand up" so I can relocate myself closer to the center.

Anyone else with such a Lab?

Puff, in most other ways, is quite considerate.

For example, when she's left in the car while I go in a store, she immediately moves over to occupy my seat. But she maintains a watchful eye on where she saw me leave and, as soon as I'm within 40 ft/9 m.of the car, she leaves my (driver's) seat and goes to the (her) passenger seat.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Samson slept on the bed but I hardly knew that he was there ! He rarely encroached on my side ! THe new bed hog is Dylan ! When he eventually goes to sleep he is fine but until then he insists on playing.

Jasper is a floor hog ! He does take my place in the bed AND in the car when I leave the bed/seat ! He gets off the bed as soon as I return, but for some reason I always have to push him off my car seat ??

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I thought, being single, I'd get full use of my own bed. Wrong. I'm still relegated to "my side." Jes starts off laying close (has to be touching). He then moves down to the foot of the bed and lays against my legs. Then he moves to "his side" for the rest of the night. It's a three-step process - no exceptions.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Dutch is my bed partner. He sleeps on his own side with his head on the pillow. Rarely moves at all except maybe to get up turn around and lie back down on the other side, again with his head on the pillow. I swear he is human!
Zoe sleeps at my feet until she want to stretch then she gets up and goes to the dog bed on the floor or the oversized chair...Zena is usually in one or the other.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Hershey Kisses is much mre like Puff when it comes to bed for the night. At my feet! Some part of her pressed against my leg, or her head resting on a leg or feet. If I move away, she repostions to get that contact. She does tend to migrate to a position stretched out across that bottom of the bed. I think that is the purpose of pressing against my leg. Needs to push it out of the way. Legs, get up into that fetal position and give me my space.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Macy and Tucker lay at the bottom by our feet. Frankie has to lay across our heads on both of our pillows. I always get the butt. :eek:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Judy is just like Puff. She curls up against the back of my legs so I have to sleep on my side. I also get pushed to the very edge of the bed, but she doesn't mind moving if I roll over; she curls up again behind my legs. If another dog gets "her" place behind my legs, she carries on until I get the other one to move. Bruno sleeps by my head, but in the morning, Mitzi pushes him out and cuddles up to my head. Duke sleeps on the far side of the bed, but when everyone gets up in the morning, he goes to my place to sleep.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Morgan sleeps from my knees down, snuggled between Paul and I unless he doesn't feel well - then he sleeps on top of me...I don't get much sleep that way, but I know he's sick when he does that.

Harley - between Paul and I head on pillow, fighting to push me further from Paul so she is the only snuggler in our bed - not me. Sigh - spoiled butt.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
If Denny is away on business or something, Teddy sleeps on his side. I'm a greedy sleeper and I don't like him on my side--and he seems to know it! Otherwise he sleeps against Denny on the outside of the bed, down near the end of the bed. I wouldn't like such a big dog sleeping against me....too hot and too confining. Of course I have Ivy and Emily already sleeping under the covers against me, too. They don't like him on "their" side--he could smoosh them! In fact Emily will growl at him if he encroaches on enemy territory, lol.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My Cocker Spaniel had to sleep either up tight against my back or in the crook of my knees, under the covers. If I turned over, she repositioned.

Shadow slept on Bill's side of the bed. While I was still awake watching TV, we HAD to be touching. If I didn't have a hand on her, she had a paw on me. :) It was so cute. Once I snuggled down to go to sleep, though, she moved over and stayed on 'her' side of the bed.

I hate being confined when I sleep, or having someone too close to me. I get too hot. There will not be another dog sleeping in the bed.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
When it was only Otis, he was never allowed on the bed. He's just too big and there's not room enough for the three of us.

Kacey started jumping in the bed with us during storms and we let her because she was so scared. Then it became a nightly thing. At first she'd sleep in a little ball at the foot of the bed so it was no big deal. Now she's completely taken over - sprawled out occupying as much space as possible by physics. I have hardly slept in three nights. It's been a year-long process, but I think she planned it that way. Stealthy.

The other morning I had the top quarter of my side of the bed and that was it.

Something has to be done. It's time for a showdown.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Nellie has a ritual. After I get in bed she asks permission to get in and always sleeps at the foot of the bed with her butt facing me. She wants then to be covered by the sheets and blanket. I guess she eventually gets too warm because she slides out of bed and sleeps for about 3-4 hours in her bed. About 3-4 in the morning she wants back in the bed and this time she sleeps with her head on my pillow next to me. These dogs are too funny.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
If Rita is reading, he likes to curl up behind her head and read over her shoulder. When the lights go out he most often then curls at our feet, unless it's chilly in the room because we do turn the furnace down to 55 at night. Then he crawls up between us and wimpers in my ear. I then have to get him his own quilt, he don't want under one with us.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
abbey is older and can't make it onto the bed anymore but she's perfectly happy to sleep on any of the 6 beds on the floor we have bought for her over the years. when she did get on the bed, she would lay in the middle and on her back. DH would cover her up with only her nose poking through and she would sleep like that until she sneezed.

cinder still jumps up every morning but she's not a cuddler. she lays down at the bottom of the bed and then moves to DH's spot when he gets up to shower in the mornings. if she wants you to get up and feed her, she lays in the middle with her feet on your butt and pushes until you are hanging off the edge of the mattress. she makes it as uncomfortable as possible for you so you get up.

each dog couldn't be more different.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ha hah ! We sleep with 4.... and they all have their usual places... at the beginning of the night..... Bosley is like Puff...., he wants to be pressed up against the back of your legs or lower back..... and he presses ! and presses ! until I have awoke several times to being on the edge if the mattress !! I usually just lift my legs and position on the other side of Bosley..... leaving HIM closer to the edge of the mattress !

·
Registered
830 Posts
Oakley starts out on her bed. At some point in the middle of the night, she hops up with me. She lays along my legs then she curls into them to get even closer.
Then once I stir once in the morning, she comes and lays on the other side of me up alongside me for her morning cuddle. Then we are up for the day.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
No dogs in my bed (or the kids beds). I need my 3/4 of my bed space. Hubby needs all of his 1/4 space. A dog would just throw off the balance. LOL

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cinnamon is a must have contact dog. She will lay on the pillow next to me with her body curled into mine long enough for our snuggle buggle session. After we have done the extended belly rub and mooch momma thing she gets up goes to the foot of the bed puts her head at my feet and plasters herself the length of me. Her tail ends up in my arm pit sometimes. After a while when I need to move she will move but some part of her has to be touching me that body contact even if it is just a paw is important. Usually unless it is hot she puts her butt up against me. If it is cold she plasters her whole body next to mine and wants me to get a throw to cover her up.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Fortunately Sky sleeps on her dog bed 99% of the time. That 1% of the time she decides to sleep on the bed is miserable - she becomes a rock and it is impossible to move.
Moose always sleeps with us and generally at the end of the bed starting out sleeping on my feet and eventually moves between SU and I at the bottom of the bed. If a cat decides to try to sleep with him he will leave and find a dog bed.
Both Sky and Moose will cuddle in the mornings especially if you are giving good scratch.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Forrest will start up at the top with me cuddling him. Toby needs to be under the covers with me (how long can a dog stay under three blankets before he smothers? :D ) Once Forrest gets warm he leaves and sleeps on the floor, but Toby only moves out from under the covers. About 4AM Forrest wants back on the bed, often waking me up long enough to have me make space. Then he's up at the head of the bed until the alarm goes off.

Lucy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts