Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What form and how much do you give- I've heard some really positive things about probiotics but really don't know that much about them and dogs! So was just wondering, why do you give them? If you just give yogurt with live cultures or tablets? and the positive or negatives you've seen! Thxs- Di

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My vet said that most yogurts and probiotics for humans do not contain Enterococcus faecium, which is one of the main ingredients in probiotics made specifically for animals. She said that E. faecium is what makes the probiotic beneficial for dogs, yogurt is just a treat. There are some makers of human probiotics that put E. faecium in them, I think most of them you have to order online.

http://www.thewholedog.org/id25.html

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My vet said that most yogurts and probiotics for humans do not contain Enterococcus faecium, which is one of the main ingredients in probiotics made specifically for animals. She said that E. faecium is what makes the probiotic beneficial for dogs, yogurt is just a treat. There are some makers of human probiotics that put E. faecium in them, I think most of them you have to order online.

http://www.thewholedog.org/id25.html
Thx.s I didn't know that about E.faecium- so will be cheacking out the site you provided.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I give them treats with probiotics in them. I'm sorry I forget the name right now, but there are many out there. I get mine at the local feed store where I buy there food. I make sure they get at least one a day.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give them treats with probiotics in them. I'm sorry I forget the name right now, but there are many out there. I get mine at the local feed store where I buy there food. I make sure they get at least one a day.
I get Sammi's food at a feed store, so I'll check around- Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I've been using the Bacpak N-zymes (google N-zymes) for quite awhile. I believe it's cut my food use by 20-25% due to better digestion. Supposedly helps gassy dogs also that may be more prone to bloat. Anne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.