Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the most popular dog according to the AKC.

2nd was the GSD
3rd was the yorkie
4th was the Golden Retriever
and
5th was the beagle.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Good news and bad news.
I love my labs and it is nice to see them recognized.
I don't love the irresponsible people who will breed a popular dog for the money.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news and bad news.
I love my labs and it is nice to see them recognized.
I don't love the irresponsible people who will breed a popular dog for the money.
Yeah. That's what I thought when I saw it on the Today show.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Is that information online anywhere? In our area, lab and lab mixes are very common in the animal shelters.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I beleive the Lab is the most popular dog because the lab is worthy. Labs are great dogs for families and singles for so many reasons that we are all aware of.

It is unfortunate that this means that there will be a lot of them in shelters. It just reflects the population distribution of the various breeds. The Labs positive attributes that make it popular, unfortunately means that people that should not own a dog of any breed will seek them out. They learn that they really aren't prepared to adjust their lifestyle to one with a live animal to care for, the dog is sent to a shelter.

I believe that what it tells us is to promote rescue over purchased pups. For those that want to compete in events requiring purebred with pedigree, then seeking excellent breeders is the path that should be encouraged for those people.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
That the GSD is in second place is alarming. That breed has not recovered from it's last bout with popularity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts