Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the time or energy to reply to all of them, today has been a horrible day for me. So please, know that I understand that you hate me, and trust me, I will lose no sleep tonight. But please stop clogging my inbox with such nonsense.

For those disgusted that a breeder would remove a problem dog from their breeding program, I certainly hope that you would expect more of a breeder in the future. Temperament is as genetic as the color of your dogs hair. Are there other factors that affect a dog's temperament? Of course, but a dog snapping at a child once is one thing. A dog snapping on more than one occasion is another. What if it were your child?

I do appreciate that you are so passionate about Nancy and her dogs, I too enjoy their company here, but I will not 'apologize' for what I've said.

This is the last post I will make on this matter. And no, I am not leaving the board in lieu of Nancy, if Nancy wants to come back to the board that is her choice. But I will be here reading about everyone dogs, as always.

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Oh how friggin ridiculous this has become. What's next - a Tea Party?

Melissa has a complete right to her opinion and on this open forum the complete right to express her opinion. I support her totally.

So - send me some hate mail now - I never get any PMs. It would be a welcome change.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
While I hope Nancy doesn't leave, I support the right of any member to express their opinion.
Sorry this has become such a circus.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Melissa, you gave your opinion. It is what I would expect a number of professionals to recommend - either don't have the baby over, or don't have the dog. I'm sorry you've been made the scapegoat in Nancy's decision to leave.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Wow Melissa, I am sorry that some people feel the need to send you hate mail. That is very tasteless. I appreciate that you gave an honest opinion, and as much as I like Nancy and would love for her to stay on the board, I do not think you deserve any type of negative mail.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
As much as I disagree with your suggestion/opinion/what-have-you, I am shocked and disheartened by the fact you got hate mail.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Being honest, when I read (another) newspaper report of a child being killed by a 'family pet' (I don't know about the USA, but it happens at least once a year in the UK) I wonder how the family of the child could put the child at risk in that way. So, from that point of view, I understand Melissa's post and why she feels as she does.

When Sally genuinely asked for advice - on a situation that has not yet occurred, Melissa gave an opinion what she would do if a dog attacked a child. I don't thiink she was setting herself up as an expert...there are people who are specially trained in dog psychology and they're the ones who can give the relevant training and advice.

Please, everyone, I know I'm a newb and I have truly appreciated the welcome I've received here, but can't everyone just take a step back, calm down and let Sally and Melissa sort th is one out between them. Or even let them 'agree to disagree'

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Melissa

I so understand you point of view. I may not agree 100% but you have every right to express it and no one has the right to send you hate mail because of it. Grow up people and realize not everyone will agree with you.

To quote Voltaire "I may not agree with a word that you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I am sorry you are getting hate mail. I am very sorry if snowflake does not stay with the forum.

These are open forums. Discussions, opinions, advice. We need to be tolerant of others. There are all kinds of differences in this world, and that is good. We do nothave to agree on everything. But it would be nice if we were civil with each other and were able to sort through the opinions and advice and then draw our independent conclusions on how we handle our individual situations.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
When someone asks for advice, they are going to get advice. Unless they specifically say, "Only give me the advice I want to hear . . " there is nothing to be sorry for. Why you would get hate mail is beyond me . . . you have the right to your opinion just as everyone else does.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
When someone asks for advice, they are going to get advice. Unless they specifically say, "Only give me the advice I want to hear . . " there is nothing to be sorry for. Why you would get hate mail is beyond me . . . you have the right to your opinion just as everyone else does.
^ THIS^ I want Nancy to stay, but its her choice. I may not agree with Melissa, but as in life believe everyone has the right to speak their piece! The hate mail, I don't get at all:tsk:

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I am also sorry that you are getting hate mail...I think that is completely uncalled for. Like everyone, I have my own opinion on this...and you are certainly entitled to voice yours. I pray that all this nonsense stops...I think it has just snowballed out of control. Please everyone, lets just realize that this is a discussion board and there will ALWAYS be times when we disagree with each other. So lets just respect everyone"s opinion... we can still disagree...but no hate mail please, that really is disturbing to me.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Although I completely disagree with your opinion and suggesting Sally should be put to sleep is ridiculous
Well she didn't exactly say that, she gave her opinion on what she would do.
I would not hesitate to say that I trust my dogs 100% with all children. No ifs, ands or buts. Honestly, no qualms. If I couldn't, I'd not have that dog in my home. End of story. And I'm not talking dumping the dog at the shelter, I'm talking something much more permanent than that. A dog who 'corrects' children is not a dog I'd have.
I would not hesitate to euthanize a dog who had been known to snap at a child. Especially one who is unpredictable, or has done it on multiple occasions.
But seriously, hate mail people? How old are you?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.