Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally switching Boo to a higher quality, grain free food and off his LBP. He's had some mild to moderate itching and a coat that's a little thin and not as shiny as I've seen it in the past. I don't expect to see a positive change in him tomorrow (I will throughly inspect him anyway ::)), but when will I know if this food works for him?
A week? Month? Longer?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If the itching is related to food, and you found a food that works, you can actually see a difference in a matter of days. More likely 2 weeks or so. Full benefits by 1-2 months.

Switch gradually - over 14 days, not to upset the stomach. Start with about 10% and go up 5-10% every day, but stretch it out for about 2 weeks. Do not rush it. I stick with 10% for about 2 days and then go about 5-10%/day.

WHich food did you choose? I switched to Orijen a ways back. Licking paws stopped within 5-10 days tops, within 1 month, dandruff was gone. He has been on it for about 6 months now and still great.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so encouraging! Thanks for the prompt reply. We're going w/ Natural Balance sweet potato and fish.

·
Registered
703 Posts
here is the deal with that food, atleast the venison and rice formula - it did not have enough fat for my lab. I used it myself and he had really bad dandruff. It helped a little with other issues, but not with dandruff. I am glad I switched after about a month, b/c a month later the venison formula was recalled.

how much fat does the formula have. the fat issue with the venison formula is a known one. you should also give omega 3s.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
For us a few days.
Ernie is sensitive to wheat and chicken fat.
He itched non stop and had dandruff. I tried all sorts of special kibble. Nothing worked. I took him off kibble and a few days later I could see the improvement.

I feed kibble sometimes and can see in a day or two if it doesn't agree with him.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gerst001 said:
how much fat does the formula have. the fat issue with the venison formula is a known one. you should also give omega 3s.
10% fat, I think this is the same as the venison.

·
Registered
703 Posts
does your dog have dry flaky skin? If so, this food won't help that. If not, and he get's it - it's the food.

this food did not work wonders for my dog, but the ingredients you are going with , may help a ton.

good luck - keep us posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts