Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at different cake ideas for a graduation. I've seen some cool ones with fondant icing - but I've never actually tasted it.

It doesn't look good, but it must be ok if so many people use it...? I'd be interested to know what those of you who have tasted it think.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Looks nice, tastes horrible - almost inedible.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
You can buy it in stores like Michaels where it sits on shelves for months. That pretty much tells you how it tastes.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yup...I remember our cake lady for our wedding telling us the fondant was SO not tasty and she used buttercream instead. Buttercream tastes like heaven. :)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Hmmm..

I had fondant on my wedding cake that was yummy, but then again my cake came from La Patisserie Parisienne. Maybe they cracked the code for delish fondant.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
It really depends on the fondant. I've tasted some that are really good, usually homemade. And I've tasted some that are really yucky, usually store bought.

My SIL makes her own and it tastes really good.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I've had home made fondant that tasted very good and some storebought that really had no flavor, just sweetness.

My friend's wedding cake was covered in what looked like fondant, but was actually a white chocolate concoction rolled out and layed over the cake. That was DELICIOUS!

I think cakjes covered in fondant have a layer of frosting on the cake first, so even if people pick the fondant off, they should still get some frosting goodness in there.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
One of my sister's neighbors owns an upscale cakery in Dallas. She's made a lot of fondant cakes for our kids' birthdays and every one of them have been really yummy to us.....and GORGEOUS.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who is graduating?
My son, from middle school. I want a cool cake for his cookout.

Thanks - I think I'll stay away from the fondant for now. I'm glad I asked because it will be made by a friend and not am expensive bakery! Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Yeah, the store-bought kind that you can get at Michaels looks really pretty.. you can even use a tiny bit of food coloring and knead it out. But it cracks easily, especially if the air is dry.. and it tastes not so good. Bleh!

Buttercream is the way to go, IMO. Does your friend have any of the frosting bags and tips? They are really easy to use and look cool! Pretty cheap at Michaels.. couple of dollars for a variety pack! I love the star tip.. that's my favorite!! :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does your friend have any of the frosting bags and tips?
Yeah - she has all kinds of stuff. She does amazing cakes. I'll have her go with something other than fondant. It's not until the end of June, but I'll be sure to post pics when the time comes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts