Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it takes a while to discover patterns. I wish I could report a pre-event pattern, however, there just isn't any. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

What I did finally realize today (after a rather long but mild event) is that several hours later, while resting, Flynn will position himself near enough to me to breathe on me and place a front paw somewhere on my body. (I always get down on the floor with Flynn during a seizure, holding his head, applying ocular compression, anything to soothe.)

It's the breathing on me afterward I find interesting. Tonight, while I was sitting on the floor (per usual) watching some TV, he was up on the love seat behind me. Paw touching my shoulder, breathing into my neck. It occurred to me, "He's not breathing ON me, he's taking in my scent!" Momma's reassuring scent.

Anyway, it happens every time and I just had that realization this evening.

Any of you other epi parents out there have anything similar to share? I'd love to read about it.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
That is so very endearing, Nance. Just like how a baby will nuzzle into your neck to get your scent...same principle.

Sweet Flynn :) Give him a kiss from me.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I can't say that I have ever noticed Gus do anything like that......he usually recovers very quickly and is his usual self within minutes. About the only pattern I've noticed with Gus' seizures are that they usually occur on Sunday afternoon!!

I'm sorry that Flynn had a seizure today. Nice to think that he finds Mummy's scent a comfort :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Susan. I think it must be just like that. I'm so glad you understand.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
That is so sweet, Nance, that Flynn gets reassurance from 'niffing you and knowing you are near enough to touch. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
knock on wood Tal has had no signs of any seizures yet but when I brought him home from his neutering, I put him in his crate to keep him from wandering around and hurting himself. He cried and i thought like you did he wanted the reassurance of being with dad. So I let him out, he crawled up into the bed next to me. Dozed right off!

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is comforting to both of you. Your scent soothes Flynn and being able to soothe Flynn comforts you.
What an awesome relationship to have.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Mischasmom said:
It is comforting to both of you. Your scent soothes Flynn and being able to soothe Flynn comforts you.
What an awesome relationship to have.
My thinking too...... for sure a "heart" dog.....

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Some of you may have read my comments about a worthless excuse for a dog, Cockapoo, we had previously. He was epileptic, but as independent and unaffectionate as they come. Never wanted to be held, or lay near you. Expect posst seizure. We would try to comfort him during the seizures, but post seizures he would find me and attach himself to any part of my body he could get to, belly or lap being preferred. It seemed that the length of this stage was directly related to the severity of the seizure. Even as independent as he was, it appeared that he new where security was when the epilepsy hit.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Sweet, sweet Flynnie. I have a great big ol' soft spot in my heart for that boy, did you know?

No significant post-ictal discoveries here, but just prior to Riley's past two seizures he was by my side. Mark and I have wondered if that is coincidence, or not.

Did Flynn have another recent episode that I missed?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anne said:
Sweet, sweet Flynnie. I have a great big ol' soft spot in my heart for that boy, did you know?

No significant post-ictal discoveries here, but just prior to Riley's past two seizures he was by my side. Mark and I have wondered if that is coincidence, or not.

Did Flynn have another recent episode that I missed?
Anne, I was reviewing some of my epi literature a few weeks ago. One thing I read (guess I've missed it before) is that sometimes, up to a few days prior to an event, dogs may show more affection to their humans than might be considered normal. It's hard to say with Flynn and maybe even Riley. Flynn is rarely further away from either of us than halfway across the room, but if it's unusual for Riley to be right by your side it could very well be that he's seeking out security from you. I'm completely convinced they know when a seizure is coming on, they just can't understand what is happening in their heads.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
That's just the thing, Nance. It is not at all unusual for Riley to be any distance at all from either of us at any time of the day. The velcro-dog, that he is.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Interesting. I never noticed that with Tucson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts