Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we're gonna be picking up our puppy soon, and flying with him back home from the breeder. He will be with us in the cabin as part of our carry-on. He will be 8 weeks old, and I wanna make sure he'll be as comfortable as possible, and I also would like to avoid him causing a ruckus on the flight -- barking, whining etc. It's only 3 hrs, but we have to keep him in his crate during the flight.

Has anyone here ever done this? I would love to hear any pointer you may have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
As Bob said, I hope you have made arrangements with the airline. You won't be able to take the pup in the cabin with you as carry on without advance arrangements, and they don't allow many on a single flight. I think the limit is one dog.

I bet your pup sleeps most of the way. Welcome and we are waiting for pictures.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I had a ticket booked for me and to have Wyatt in the cabin with me when he came home from the breeder but he ended up being too big to fly in cabin so the ticket was cancelled and he was booked on another flight to fly cargo.

I was nervous about having him in plane, my plan was to make sure he got a potty break at the very last chance possible and to make sure he was good and tired.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blacklabelias said:
I had a ticket booked for me and to have Wyatt in the cabin with me when he came home from the breeder but he ended up being too big to fly in cabin so the ticket was cancelled and he was booked on another flight to fly cargo.

I was nervous about having him in plane, my plan was to make sure he got a potty break at the very last chance possible and to make sure he was good and tired.
How big was Wyatt? The airline said our doggie can be up to 20 lbs and breeder said the pups are usually around 14 lbs at 8 weeks... so I hope it works out.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Sherlock said:
blacklabelias said:

How big was Wyatt? The airline said our doggie can be up to 20 lbs and breeder said the pups are usually around 14 lbs at 8 weeks... so I hope it works out.
There wasn't a weight limit on the airline I was booked on, Continental, but they have max dimensions for soft sided carriers.
Wyatt was probably about 18 pounds at 8 weeks but was no where close to fitting in the soft crate. Here are some pictures taken between 6 and 7 weeks
here he is in the airline approved size

Here he is in the larger soft carrier that would have been too big, he barely fit in it standing up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blacklabelias said:
Sherlock said:
blacklabelias said:

There wasn't a weight limit on the airline I was booked on, Continental, but they have max dimensions for soft sided carriers.
Wyatt was probably about 18 pounds at 8 weeks but was no where close to fitting in the soft crate. Here are some pictures taken between 6 and 7 weeks

Here he is in the larger soft carrier that would have been too big, he barely fit in it standing up.
Wow... reality check! This may not work out for us... :surprise: I'm so glad you posted those pix!!! .... uuhhhmmm. Yeah -- not sure what we're gonna do here. May have to change our ticket.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yup I put little, er NOT so little Wyatt in that flight carrier that was the MAX dimension allowed on the plane. That poor boy was busting out at the seems. Also in those pictures he was not yet even 8 weeks old!!! During take off and landing the crate HAS to be able to be stored under the seat and that was not going to happen.
So you better and the breeder better have a back up plan in case your pup does not fit. We flew him continental and they were GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! They took all my fears away when it comes to shipping a pup and I would do it again.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Sherlock said:
blacklabelias said:
Sherlock said:
blacklabelias said:

Wow... reality check! This may not work out for us... :surprise: I'm so glad you posted those pix!!! .... uuhhhmmm. Yeah -- not sure what we're gonna do here. May have to change our ticket.
What airline are you flying? Do they have a crate size requirement? When Kim, Wyatt's breeder, told me that she thought he was going to be too big to fly in cabin I was SO upset because I really didn't want to ship him cargo. When she sent me those pictures I almost fell out of my chair laughing to hard! :laugh:
I ended up cancelling my ticket and I had to book him on an entirely different flight because the one I was booked on did not have a pressurized cargo area.
He was a trooper and did not seemed the slightest bit fazed about being shipped cargo.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like

·
Registered
371 Posts
Depending on the dog....

Some pups are small enough and do fly regularly. Get a health cert. and try him in the bag you need to fly him in before hand. If you can't, have the bag shipped to your breeder to try him in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts