Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start my post by saying currently our 5 month old lab pup spends all day and night inside with us. She is crated when she cannot be directly supervised. We have an outside run that we occasionally used for our previous lab. It is an area where he could get some fresh air and not be confined to a crate if we were gone for a longer period of time. The outside run currently has farm fence covered in pea gravel with a roof and dog house. We have not used it for current lab because she eats rocks, plus we felt it was important for bonding, etc for her to be inside. Now that she is a bit older, we'd like to occasionally be able to let her go into outside run, but cannot decide on a suitable floor. It cannot be anything consumable as she eats everything in sight. We talked about concrete, but I don't want to damage her joints. I've searched the web trying to find other options and found kennel platforms and rubber mats. Obviously it needs to be dig and chew proof. Has anyone ever seen a kennel floor done in either of these? I want to make sure it is durable and safe for her. Links for reference only to show what I mean.
http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merc...y_Code=2CATTenderfootRubberFloorMattingTENRFM
http://www.snowcountrypets.com/ati/product-at-kennelplatform?gclid=CNK7ld23iowCFSZJYAod8CsK5w

She will still be walked on average 3x/day, played with, spend indoor time with us and sleep indoors. Never in the 10 years we had our other dog did he sleep outside. Maybe I don't need to worry that concrete will be too rough because she won't be in it for long periods?

D

·
0 Posts
Since I have never had a run for my dogs, I am not an authority --- but what about grass?

What keeps the dog from tunnelling out?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though the run is covered, grass turns to mud quickly in our area, plus with it being shadier, the grass will not grow well and will be worn thin in no time. Just her exercising in the yard takes its toll on the grass.

Tunneling out - yes that is why I need to make sure the flooring is suitable to keep her in, dig resistant and chew resistant.

·
Registered
886 Posts
My dad used to have a business that sold rubber mats for a variety of things, you can get recycled rubber mats that are about 1 inch thick and have some slight cushion but are very tough. They can be cut to fit runs, etc.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Have you ever heard of 'crusher dust' sometimes called 'crusher rock'? It is a really, really fine gravel that after placed in it's desired location, you tamp it down, wet it down, and then tamp it again. It hardens up quite nicely.

We used this for our driveway, and I love it. If we ever attach a small kennel to the side of the house, we will use crusher dust on the ground. A determined pooch would still be able to dig out of it, however.

Another option is this: http://www.rammfence.com/stalls/accessories.php?c=63&acc=true&gclid=CLbz0NKIlYwCFSBMGgodKlDkgw This stuff should be quite sturdy. Check around for prices. Google 'rubber horse stall mats'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts