Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Labs4Life suggested this. Do you think people like you when they first meet you?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Uhh....I don't know. Probably 50/50? It would be unrealistic to think that you could please everyone. I try to be friendly but there are too many personalities out there to please them all. You'd lose yourself trying.

T

·
0 Posts
NO!!! I dont know why I am always nice when I meet someone for the first time. And then after I get to know them thats why everything changes. ;D

I believe some people might like me but not many. Or at least this is what I think.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me, usually at first they do. Once they get to know me, they figure out how peculiar I am and back off. :laugh:

P

·
0 Posts
No....check the siggy.....being a lurker, I hang back and watch. I try to get a feel for someone before I make a judgement, but I don't necessarily open up all bubbly like to begin with. So I figure I seem stand off-ish.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charla said:
Uhh....I don't know. Probably 50/50? It would be unrealistic to think that you could please everyone. I try to be friendly but there are too many personalities out there to please them all. You'd lose yourself trying.
People do like you if you LET them talk to you at first. Your shyness usually keeps you distant until you begin to feel comfortable around them, which usually requires a few gin and tonics. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I make a concerted effort to come across as warm and friendly. I was trained as a child to do so. Whether it fools anyone or not, I have no idea. :p

I have pretty idiosyncratic personality, so first impressions of me are generally misleading. ;D

Shanna summed me up pretty concisely:
Shanna said:
For me, usually at first they do. Once they get to know me, they figure out how peculiar I am and back off. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
YES- i'm extremely extroverted and friendly. i make everyone around me feel comfortable and friends from way back tell me this is why they wanted to meet me at parties and other occassions.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Although I'm nice and always smile when I meet someone, I'm very shy and quiet. I think people see this as aloof and tend to not like me at first.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
One issue I face constantly is name-introduction-ADD. When I'm introduced to someone, I am godawful at remembering their name. It goes in one ear and out the other. It's really embarassing, and I've tried all the tricks to combat it, but it doesn't matter. People's names take a LONG time to stick w/me.

When we start a new beginner class, I can rattle off the dogs' names within 10 minutes. Their owners? Gah. I often have no idea, even after 10 weeks. So they'll see me later in the bank or something and say Hi, and I'm left stammering, "Ohhhh, hi. uhh... Tucker's uh. Mom... How's Tucker?"

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have been told that I am intimidating. I am the only one of the "group" with a college degree and a good job. (Read MONEY) Not that I have money, just that I make more than everyone.

I have to deal with crap all day at work, and I just have a hard time letting it go. My stress levels carry over into my play time. I am a hard person to please. I do hold a high standard. If you do certain things to make me think less of you, then we will not "hang out" much. Example: If you get drunk and drive home with 4 people in your car, you have lost my respect. If you go out and have relations with a total stranger because you allowed yourself to get too drunk, you have lost my respect. Oh, and if you get too drunk and blame everyone else for letting you get that way, well, you know.

If that makes me intimidating then, fine.

R

·
0 Posts
SU and I have been told that our home is very welcoming, We've had a lot of people tell us they feel very comfortable in our home. Even people we have just met say that they feel like they known us for ever. So I would say yes I am liked by the people I meet.

I am very easy to get along with, as long as I'm not tired, I tend to get cranky and won't join in the conversations when I'm tired. SU is very social and loves to meet new people. I would say he is the reason most people like us right away. I tend to stay pretty quiet when I first meet people, I'm not shy, I just like to listen to them talk and feel them out before I decide to contribute to the coversation. I usually won't speak until I'm spoken too.

At work though, I'm more vocal, I'm a woman in a mans world so if I don't speak up I'll never be included into the conversations. I am liked by all my co workers, they are all men, I work in an office / fabrication shop and there are 5 women and 100 men. We are very out numbered! I feel more comfortable in a room full of men than a room full of women, I'm no good at girl talk, so I can talk more easily to men than women.
:)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Momma to J and A said:
I make a concerted effort to come across as warm and friendly. I was trained as a child to do so. Whether it fools anyone or not, I have no idea. :p

I have pretty idiosyncratic personality, so first impressions of me are generally misleading. ;D

Shanna said:
Do you ever have the problem with those that really are not a good personality match that, for whatever reason, are even more drawn to you and want to be all up in your business?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Shanna said:
Momma to J and A said:

Shanna said:
Do you ever have the problem with those that really are not a good personality match that, for whatever reason, are even more drawn to you and want to be all up in your business?
Yes. I attract strange people sometimes. Maybe being openly strange makes me more accessible to other strange-types, even if we are of COMPLETELY different personality types!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts