Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female, Sable has the WORST ears!!! Since the #!&%* groomer 'cleaned' her ears she's had nothing but trouble...steroids, antibiotics, regular treatments with 'drying' products, which don't work...poor girl is flapping herself senseless. Anyone know of a solution? There's no smell (now) but she's flapping and scratching nonstop...HELP!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Food change may help. I would do a culture to see what it is. If it is yeast, that is fungus and antibiotic will not help.

I would also try the purple solution. Works great on yeast

16 oz. witch hazel
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops gentian violet

You should be able to get ingred. at a pharmacy if you want to make you own.

My vet recommended putting in 2x/week and leave it there. Clean the ear on different days 1-2x/week. We did this for 6 weeks and it worked great. no more issues.

We use an eye dropper to put in the solution and don't put too much in. Otherwise they shake their head and the purple stuff flies out and it stains.

for cleaning we use 1/3 water, 1/3 white viniger, 1/3 witch hazel. Cleans well and works as a drying agent.

Apple cider viniger is also good to help ward off yeast by feeding 1 tbsp daily in food with water added. If she won't eat it try splitting it between a.m. and p.m. meal.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tootsie had a terrible time with her ears when we switched to a grain free food. She was on antibiotics, cleaning meds etc I had asked for otimax it works best for my kids and the vet finally gave me mometamax or something like that, within days her ears are back to normal again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use organic white vinegar and rubbing alcohol, (I mix one cap full of each ( i use the same cap to get equal amounts)) and then I gently swab with a q-tip and I feed one table spoon of whole milk plain yogurt (mind you I am feeding a 10lb shih tzu) and that seems to work well for her.. I am also switching to grain free food..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.