Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
first time in Open A (NOW WITH RESULTS)

I am entered in Open A for the first time this Friday at the LRCSC specialty (southern california). We are not really ready for open but we still might pull off a Q if she does the broad jump. I entered mainly to help support the club and just to have some fun. I am going to see if I can make this a really fun experience for Amber. So wish us luck we need it..lol

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Good luck and fingers and paws crossed for you! I have a good feeling for you!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
"IF she does the broad jump"????

Now get that turned around in your head before Friday, okay? :D Believe that she *Will* DO that broad jump... (hey, it works sometimes!). Best of luck and have fun! Anne

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look forward to hearing how you do and I agree with Anne...got to think positive and more like 'WHEN' she does the broad jump. I often laugh at myself though when Sandy doesn't qualify because it is something I did as a handler to mess him up or he just thinks he is supposed to be doing something a little differently.

Today in training he decided to 'tip toe through the tulips' = "tip toed through the broad jump', but at least I got him to do it right again.

My weakness is his fronts....sigh...that is what will get me in open A. After the retrieve over high he comes back over with the dumbell but then somtimes looks lost like hey...I got it ...exercise is done right...and just stans there looking silly and it is out of arm length so an NQ :( that was my previous Open A expereince....will be trying for our much needed two remaining legs at shows this June.

It is great that you're supporting your local lab club!!!!! Have fun and we'll be cheering for you in Oregon and I'll be happy that a yellow lab is out there doing stuff....not many here always seem to be black or chocolate ;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Good Luck! Emilu and I haven't done so well in Open - we've NQ'd all 4 times now, and while it probably has alot to do with me, Emilu tends to freeze in the Open ring. She knows her stuff, but isn't quite sure she should do it in the ring. If I could just give 2 commands, I might get her to slowly amble out to do her thing....... And while I'm SURE your dog won't walk that broad jump, in the Open ring is the ONLY time I see Emilu carefully walk between each board.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no dobt amber will do something for the broad jump..lol She may cut the front corner, she may walk the boards, she is most likely to hit or tick the last board, or she may be clean. If she looks like she might walk the boards I will simply turn early and move some to get her to jump it. I realized this will very probably NQ us but it should make it easier on Amber. I have already decided to write "Fetch" on my hand so I will see it when they hand me the dumbell. I don't want to send her on her name..lol
I haven't spent as much time as I should have in training for this, but Amber is very good at carrying me through such things..lol

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have already decided to write "Fetch" on my hand so I will see it when they hand me the dumbell. I don't want to send her on her name..lol
Kelly and Amber

I bet you could write it in small letters on your dumbbell if you wanted. Just tell the judge your other dog's name is "Fetch" and you grabbed the wrong dumbbell. :D

FWIW, on the broad jump once I get into place at the side of the jump, I take a good "look" down at that last board-- not at my dog-- so when the judge says "send your dog" the dog is (hopefully) getting that message that I'm willing her over that last board! I look up at my dog and say "doggy OVER!" turning as she's flying (yes, think positive!) by! I dunno, but it's really helped my dogs to remind them exactly where I want them clearing that. Anne

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Best of luck and most of all have fun!!!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Best of luck, Kelly! I'll be there tomorrow and hopefully get a chance between showing peoples' dogs to swing by and cheer you on! :D Amber is an amazing little worker...I'll bet she makes you proud!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok we just got back from the LRCSC Specialty and it went perfect for us. I was hyperventilating and Amber wasn't the least bit worried..lol. We managed to get a 197 losing 1/2 a point on Heeling and figure 8,retrieve on Flat, Broad Jump, and Drop on Recall and we lost 1 point on the retrieve over the high jump.
The only odd thing that happened was we did the Heeling,ROF,ROH,and then I asked the judge "Shouldn't we have done the drop on recall?" lol So then we did the DOR and then the Broad jump..lol. Actually there was a second odd thing that happened, one of the other Open A persons had the judge measure their lab and the judge said the dog should jump 28". Once the dog got in the ring everyone outside was thinking that dog is way to short to jump 28". That dog crashed into the broad jump with its chest on the way over and then came around on the way back and then looked at the broadjump and just went straight back to the owner. We later consulted with the judge and pointed out the obvious error, and the judge remeasured the dog (the dog was supposed to jump 22") and allowed the dog to rerun. The dog was much happier and did all the jumps just fine and then ended up with a 3rd. everyone there thought the judge did the right thing by allowing the dog to rerun the individuals.
This has been a really great month so far we finished our JH got a WCX, got an Open leg in our very first trial with a first!! The only thing left this month is agility tomorrow and Sunday.
Thanks for everyones support and good thoughts!!

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D See the power of positive thinking??? Are you entered tomorrow too?

Gosh, sorry to say but the judge was really off if he/she said 28" on their jump height (in the wrong era perhaps?). My gosh, these are labs, not Danes!

I had a situation last year when my girl (who measured in at 21") was in the ring for her final leg and we set up in front of the ROH and I noticed it was only set at 16". The judged asked if I was ready and I had to say, "ummmm NO... we aren't because the jump isn't at the correct height". She looked at Fuji and said, "Well, I have to agree, she's small but not THAT small!" ;) She thanked me graciously for pointing out the error! That was a nice way to title. Anne

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Congrats. We have yet to get a Q in Open due to that broad jump. We stopped competing in it last year, finished RE, started RAE and am about to finish a UCD, and then we may retrain on Open.

Congrats again!!!! I think Amber will do anything for you!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish I had entered saturday. I have to work at an agility trial Saturday and Sunday, but maybe Amber will finish her Open Jumpers title this weekend...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts