Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was Toby's first trip to the dog park! We are lucky enough to have one that is wide open, well kept, and has river frontage. I brought my kids and we all had kibble to reinforce Toby's recall. What surprised me was how eager Toby was to play with anyone and everyone, and how very few dogs were interested. There must have been over 50 dogs there, and there was a lot of interaction, but not the kind of play we've seen him do in the backyard with other dog friends (chasing, wrestling, bitey-face). He certainly had a great time swimming, running, and butt-sniffing, but I was hoping he'd meet a buddy who wanted to play. Is there just too much going on to expect that kind of behavior? Toby is 18 months old and was neutered 3 months ago.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Go again for sure, maybe he'll meet some different buddies next time. Try another time of day.

I go to several dog parks, and only at one does Corby play with certain dogs (other labs :) ) when we stop in a field area. Our dog parks are ones where you walk, not just stay in one place, so mostly he only interacts with other dogs as they are passing by.

Good luck! Corby loves the dog parks & the Chuck-it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I think that's it. Just so much going on. Think about parties you have been to: If it's a small, intimate gathering of just a few friends, you are much more likely to strike up a conversation and really get to know the people there. If it's a huge party, you are more likely to just float in and out of the crowd and not really focus on any one person. ;D Don't you think? At least that's how parties are for me. :p

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure you are right. We will definitely go back! It was fascinating to see so many dogs all in one place, speaking their own language. I can't believe I waited so long to go! It is about 40 min from our house, so that was a deterrent. Then after he was a year old and not yet neutered, someone warned me to not take him to a dog park because the neutered males would pick on him. Toby was fixed in December, and now that the weather is much nicer, I'm sure we'll make it out there a couple times a month.

We also have a dog park that is on the beach, but I've been concerned about whether or not Toby could swim out too far and get into trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts