Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We just recently had our first child, Troy. My mother-in-law keeps dropping subtle hints that Mother's Day is around the corner, and, honestly, I am clueless as to what I should get for my wife. Are there any traditional "first Mother's Day" gifts? Maybe something with Troy's birth stone? How about a new stereo system for my office? (j/k)

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Some kind of ring that incorporates the birthstones of both your wife and your son?? Be sure to choose a 'flexible' setting, though, in case your little family grows in number!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The Mothers day after each of mine where born I got a loose stone (their birthstone), after 2nd child was born hubby had a ring made for christmas. #3 has his own ring (cheaper than starting all over). I think she would be happy with anything as long as it has a card to Mommy , Love you Troy!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I got a Canon Rebel XT for my first Mother's Day. My Birthday was a week later so it was a combo gift.

Jewelery is always god for Mother's Day, especially the first one.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
sawyersammy said:
I love these....http://www.demdaco.com/WillowTree.aspx, but of course I don't know if your wife likes this type thing. My husband got me one for our first anniversary and it is one of my most treasured items.
When my Dad passed away, someone from our church gave us a Willow Tree angel. I had seen them in the store but never thought to buy one. I like these figurines a LOT. They're so simple and yet so profound at the same time.....

If you're religious at all, think of something with the Madonna and Child.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
dweck said:
sawyersammy said:
I love these....http://www.demdaco.com/WillowTree.aspx, but of course I don't know if your wife likes this type thing. My husband got me one for our first anniversary and it is one of my most treasured items.
When my Dad passed away, someone from our church gave us a Willow Tree angel. I had seen them in the store but never thought to buy one. I like these figurines a LOT. They're so simple and yet so profound at the same time.....

If you're religious at all, think of something with the Madonna and Child.
DH gave me an expectant mother one in my Christmas stocking, I loooove it!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jewelry is always good.  Or some kind of "mommy" figurine-precious moments for example.  I personally wanted a Lladro piece of a mother holding her baby.  Whatever you get, DON'T FORGET THE MOMMY CARD-it's very important.  And maybe the baby will get you the stereo for Father's Day.  Good Luck!

And congratulation on your baby!!!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I like the Mother's ring with the birthstones. SU has one and so do both our mothers. Its a great gift. When your baby becomes two years old the gift giving becomes easier.....a day off!!!!!!

BTW, We have quite a few of the Willow Tree figurines, they make wonderful gifts. I bought SU the girl holding puppy little jewelry(?) box last week.

G

·
My SIL got a nice mother and baby pendant (14K gold) which she has worn pretty much all the time for years. Her DH got her this for her first mothers day. If you google mother and baby pendant you will see lots of options. Her's is the one where the mom and baby are simple abstract forms facing each other in sort of a circle.

G

·
The Mother's ring is a winner! I also like the camera idea - especially if your wife is into pictures of the baby/family. A good camera will last many years and provide many memories.

For an off-the-wall thing, have a star registered in your wife's/baby's name through the celestial registry. It's neat to be able to point out your own "star" up in the night sky. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Whatever gift you choose will be the right one. It would be great if she could get some "me-time" and brunch or dinner out or cooked by you. I have a crabby SIL who remarked something about me 'not being a real mom yet' when my first Mother's Day rolled around -- apparently she didn't think I'd spent enough time in the trenches. The first year of motherhood was the most challenging learning time of my life! Fortunately, my husband thought so, too!

Just anything that says you recognize how special she is....that's a great gift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts