Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only loud noises my two seem to be afraid of is fireworks. Thunderstorms do not phase them nor interestingly enough a car tha backfires. Only fireworks. I wouldn't say they are scared of them, but they don't like 'em either. I left them inside while I mowed yesterday and inside or out, they pretty much stuck to me.

Last night, they were even more velcro dogs than usual. Today we are back to normal.

I'm thankful they don't go nutso on this but I wish they didn't let it get to them either. Thankfully, this only happens once a year.

How do your respond to fireworks, or other loud noises?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Lexi does not like thunderstorms or fireworks, though she seems to be worse with the fireworks.

She is bad enough that her vet gave me a script for Alprazolam (sp?) for her. I only use it for the 4th of July. After 3 mg of Alprazolam on Saturday, she was one quite relaxed pup. She still hid during the fireworks, but she was not shaking, sitting on my lap or trying to squeeze under furniture she clearly does not fit under.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
This is the first year I can say that my dogs could care less about the fireworks. The shepherd I lost last year would shake like a leaf all day on July 4th (and often when the neighbors would shoot off firecrackers during the rest of the summer).

My Labs just sat on the deck and watched the sky.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Noises don't bother Bauer at all. I had to take him to the vet on Saturday morning, and the number of people coming in to pick up sedatives was astonishing. I asked the vet about it and he said that he has a few patients that are prescribed sedatives for thunderstorms and stuff, but nothing compared to the people that call on (or around the 4th of July). It seemed pretty common.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The noise my dog doesn't like is when there is heavy construction equipment banging, clanging, hammering, etc.

They are doing utility work on my street and when they are working by the house the poor guy is a wreck when I come home.

He doesn't like the sound of plastic bags either, which I totally don't get.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The dogs never minded them much other years but with Mocha's anxiety issues this year she was more aggitated by them. We gave her some seditave Saturday afternoon to help Saturday night but they were setting them off last night until after 11:30 to and she was barking at them and pretty aggitated.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Phoebers is not bothered by fireworks or thunder at all. She is afraid of the vacuum, and large objects and stuff...but for some reason not phased at all by thunder or fireworks...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bo barks at some of them, Gus goes into his crate. Neither is extremely scared. But I wouldn't say they enjoy it (of course I'm not a big fan of firecrackers, either).

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Neither of my girls were ever bothered by the fireworks. We used to take Molly to watch them. But as she gets older she does not like the loud fireworks or thunder. Abby could care less. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The noise my dog doesn't like is when there is heavy construction equipment banging, clanging, hammering, etc.

They are doing utility work on my street and when they are working by the house the poor guy is a wreck when I come home.

He doesn't like the sound of plastic bags either, which I totally don't get.
Mine love the sound of a plastic bag..they think they are about to get a treat..lol

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Buddy didn't blink an eye. Champ, however, was very uneasy and just couldn't seem to settle down. I had gone to bed before the noise started, and there were four houses around us shooting off various things. Bill said Champ paced and paced, panting, until Bill took him into the bedroom and made him lie down between the bed and the wall. Then he settled down and went to sleep in the corner cubby formed by the bed, wall, and my night table.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Guthrie doesn't mind them but definately is interested in knowing where the sound is coming from.

I wonder if a dogs reaction has anything to do with when it was born. Guthrie's puppyhood was smack dab in the middle of thunderstorm season so he was exposed to lots of thunder at a young age.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi actually did much better this year then the last two. Last year I even gave her a benadryl too calm her down, this year nothing and she did pretty well. It wasn't until after a couple of hours that she seemed to have had enough and went into bed with DH. Snuggled in and was fine:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts