Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gabby's mom showed me this link and told me to check out the classes "shy dogs 1" and "shy dogs 2" I finally got around to calling these people and they said that this would be the PERFECT class to help Apollo with his fears. I am enrolling him in these classes asap once we get back to St. Louis. Check out the class descriptions at the link below:

http://www.hsmo.org/m_obedience/dogtraining.php

I am SO happy to know there is actually a class out there desgined for dogs like apollo. yeah!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Sam and I went to petsmart last night to get the prong collar and apollo peed himself when we put the collar on him. It just looks too much like a choke chain to apollo, so we didn't get it. We are waiting to get a greyhound collar asap. R

egardless, Apollo is doing better with Sam. Sam hasn't had any issues with Pollo on their morning walks. Apollo got a little skittish on me yesterday when we let him out to pee (he was curling up in a ball on the side walk and peeing himself) so I pulled him up (gently and firmly. Me doing this to apollo doesn't freak him out, i don't know why....i guess cuz hes not scared of woman) and I held his head and spoke to him calmly and firmly and said "Apollo, calm down. Sit. Calm. Down" and he responded to that quite well actually. Its almost like me being firm, calm, and relaxed with him helped "snap him out of it." I didn't comfort him for freaking out, but I did get his attention and make him stop peeing and whimpering.

I saw a show today on Animal planet where they were working with a dog that was afraid of men. They had a woman hold a dog on a leash and then then had a man come out from behind a curtain and then quickly go behind the curtain (not jumping out and scaring the dog, just coming out. Showing himself. and going back behind the curtain) Every time the man appeared, the dog got a treat. Soon the man would start coming out and saying the dogs name in a happy voice and wagging his finger at the dog. Everytime the man did this the dog got a treat. Soon the man would come out and give the dog a treat. It really seemed to help this dog stay calm around this man. Sam and I are gunna try something like that. We also plan to enroll him in the class above. Hopefully we'll see some positive changes soon.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I really hope Apollo does well with it. I have two goals for Apollo 1. To make him happy, confident, and secure and 2. To get him stable enough to pass CDC and TDI testing. I know he'd be an AWESOME therpay dog (he ADORES children) but we gotta conquer his skittish behavior first.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm glad you found something for Apollo. Seems like that place has full array of courses.

Hope the curtain trick helps in the meantime. Sounds like a fun "game" for Apollo.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll just be relieved once I know the two "men" in my life are getting along lol. It will be great to see apollo comfortable with his surroundings. Im sure he'll really blossom.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
It's great that you found a class like that! You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes. Brigetta has a lot of fears and will pee and get diarea (sorry to be gross) when she is afraid. Anything can set her off...meeting new people, wide open spaces, etc. I was also lucky to find a trainer who had extensive training and experience with these issues. It has made a big difference. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts