Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moose had a bone scan done yesterday to confirm what the ortho vet thought was a possible tendon tear in his shoulder. Well, it turns out it is his knee. Obviously this wasn't something easy to diagnose, hence 2 ortho vets and a regular vet all thought it was his shoulder.

I'm so glad we did the scan! Turns out he has a fragmented carotoid (sp?) which I think is OCD. The vet left me a message and is going on vacation for 10 days so I'm not sure I will get all of the details until he gets back. I did leave a message because I'd like to go ahead and get the surgery on his calendar. They will scope it to see what the damage is and then fix it thru arthoscopic surgery. He said Moose has a very good chance at full recovery.

If I'm right, this normally happens in very young dogs so want to understand if this was truly the result of hitting a jump during a Rally exercise. I also assume he will likely be prone for arthritis in that knee as he ages - one more reason to put him on a diet!

I'm just so glad to finally know what is wrong and have a shot of getting back to a full Moose! I really, really miss our walks. Right now we can only do short walks:(

·
Registered
601 Posts
Glad you finally got it figured out! I'm sure he'll have a full recovery!! Lucky's expected to make one. :)

Yeah those labs don't appreciate just short walks do they?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Coronoid - sorry, it's the medical transcriptionist in me. ;)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Sorry but I´m confused. Is this a problem in a front leg (arm) or in a back leg? First you mentioned it was in the shoulder (front) and now it was knee (back?)

Fragmented coronoid process is part of elbow displasya (but I honestly don´t know if it can happen in a knee). It is caused by malformation of the bones in the way they fit with each other. it is hereditary.

If it is the elbow problem your dog must not be allowed to run anymore (just regular play sessions where he runs if he wants, no fetching, jumping or forced exercise). Surgery helps but unfortunately this malformation has no permanent solution.

My Homer improved 100% on the right elbow but the left is still causing problems 2 months after he went through surgery. Unfortunately it took me too long to find out about his problem and the surgery was performed late

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackandyellow - yes it is the elbow. I don't think and type well and since I usually post during work I'm usually rushing thru aah! Caught on spelling and the wrong end of the dog:eek:

I agree about limiting his activity from this point on - I'm lucky in that he prefers walks over retreiving. I really want to talk to the vet to get his take on whether this might of been something he has had and the jump just made it worse. Or did the jump cause it - doesn't really matter, but would like to know.

From researching this I do realize that arthritis is likely so will also be starting on supplements for him as well.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Sharon, that's what Maddy had at 14 months. She had surgery to remove the bone chips from the joint, and overall, she's fine. She's nearing 7, gets gimpy at times, but I'm still competing with her.

It is a genetic thing however it is also greatly influenced by environment.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
So glad you got a diagnosis, Sharon. Here's to quick healing!! :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I'm glad he has been dianosed. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Oh now I get it. I wish you the best with the surgery and hopes he´s back to normal soon. The good thing is that the recovery was not as bad as I thought. He could walk normally by the third day. Only had to keep him from running and be careful climbing stairs up and down.

I now let him play and run with Misha, only controlling it doesn´t get out of control. He loved fetching but that is history for him now, but in general I´d say his 80% back to his previous state.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the well wishes. We have a few weeks before surgery but will post how he does. If stairs are a problem he is not going to be a happy camper. His morning routine is to jump up on the bed, lay on top of me and cover me with kisses until I get up and our bedroom is on the 2nd floor. I'm sure we will get thru it - at least the recovery isn't as bad as Sky's TPLO.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Glad you finally know what the problem is. Continued good thoughts for you and Moose. Please keep us posted on how that sweet boy is doing.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Glad you got to the bottom of his problems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts