Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea. And this, to me, is really cool.

snopes.com: Communion on the Moon

One of the smaller details lost amidst the tremendous historic and scientific achievement of the Apollo 11mission that landed the first two human beings on the moon in August 1969 was that it also marked the first occasion on which a Christian took the sacrament of Communion on an astronomical body other than the Earth. The event took place in the interval between the lunar module's landing on the moon on 20 July 1969 and Neil Armstrong's taking his first steps on the lunar surface several hours later; during that period, astronaut Buzz Aldrin privately observed Communion using elements he had brought to the moon.

From his book "Magnificent Desolation"
"...in an effort to remain calm and collected, I decided that this would be an excellent time [a rest period/media blackout time before walking on the surface] for a ceremony I had planned as an expression of gratitude and hope. Weeks before, as the Apollo mission drew near, I had originally asked Dean Woodruff, pastor at Webster Presbyterian Church, where my family and I attended services when I was home in Houston, to help me come up with something I could do on the moon, some appropriate symbolic act regarding the universality of seeking. I had thought of doing something overtly patriotic, but everything we came up with sounded trite and jingoistic. I settled on a well-known expression of spirituality: celebrating the first Christian Communion on the moon, much as Christopher Columbus and other explorers had done when they first landed in their 'new world.'

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Strange that that never came out before. You'd think every moment of that trip would have been pretty well documented before now.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Strange that that never came out before. You'd think every moment of that trip would have been pretty well documented before now.
According to Snopes, NASA did a press release about it at the time. There's now all this muck about it being squelched because Mayilyn Murray O'Hare threatened a lawsuit about it, but according to Snopes, that's not so.

I don't know why it isn't more commonly known.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.