Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have enough to think about obviously..but here's my question anyway...Dakota was born on 11/30/06, going by weeks he will be 17 weeks tomorrow, but going by months he'd be 4 months on the 30th? Which way is more accurate, monthly or weekly? Just curious how you all figure this out.
BTW..I've been doing weeks..but.. Jackie ;)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
either or.

D

·
0 Posts
JackieN said:
I don't have enough to think about obviously..but here's my question anyway...Dakota was born on 11/30/06, going by weeks he will be 17 weeks tomorrow, but going by months he'd be 4 months on the 30th? Which way is more accurate, monthly or weekly? Just curious how you all figure this out.
Does it matter? Just go by months and save your self a headache.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No..I don't think it really matters..it was just..something I was wondering about, since you always hear puppies ages stated in weeks! Just one of those..hmmmmmmm..which one is more accurate..I guess!
Jackie

deific said:
JackieN said:
Does it matter? Just go by months and save your self a headache.

D

·
0 Posts
More accurate would be weeks, or days, or hours if you wish. Whats more accurate saying the baby is 1 year old or saying its 14 months?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
When I plotted Puff's weight X her age through her first year, I used days.

Since some months can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, they're obviously too crude (too variable) a measure of age for that purpose.

It really all depends on what the purpose is.

If, like me, you're making a graph to keep a record, you'll need equal intervals along the horizontal X-axis (age) -- [as well as the Y (weight/pounds)].

But when someone asks you how old your Lab is, IF you tell them "167 days" that wouldn't help much for many people. Saying "5 months" or "5½ months" is a response that most people would quickly understand.

It just all depends on the purpose.

If a medicine needs to be given 2X/day for 21 days, you use days.

If you're going to feed a Large Breed Puppy food for the first year of life, you can use years (or 12 months) and if you're a few days, or even weeks, one side or the other of 365 days, it really makes no difference.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I always said "months" until they were 18 months old, and then went by years. For example, all my dogs are a bit older than 2, 4, 5 and 6 years but it is easier for me to say that then "46 months" or whatever.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Trickster..thanks for explaining your thoughts on it. It wasn't so much important..as a curiousity..since weekly and monthly his birthday is different..if you go by weeks..than at 8 weeks everyone says he's 2 months..but if you go by month birth date..30th..then tomorrow he will be 4 months old as opposed to two weeks ago when he was 16 weeks old..got that?? LOL I'm sooooooo confused..LOLOL!
Jackie ;D

Trickster said:
I always said "months" until they were 18 months old, and then went by years. For example, all my dogs are a bit older than 2, 4, 5 and 6 years but it is easier for me to say that then "46 months" or whatever.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bob Pr., I replied to Trickster about why I was curious about this..thanks for your reply too!
Jackie :)

Bob Pr. said:
When I plotted Puff's weight X her age through her first year, I used days.

Since some months can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days long, they're obviously too crude (too variable) a measure of age for that purpose.

It really all depends on what the purpose is.

If, like me, you're making a graph to keep a record, you'll need equal intervals along the horizontal X-axis (age) -- [as well as the Y (weight/pounds)].

But when someone asks you how old your Lab is, IF you tell them "167 days" that wouldn't help much for many people. Saying "5 months" or "5½ months" is a response that most people would quickly understand.

It just all depends on the purpose.

If a medicine needs to be given 2X/day for 21 days, you use days.

If you're going to feed a Large Breed Puppy food for the first year of life, you can use years (or 12 months) and if you're a few days, or even weeks, one side or the other of 365 days, it really makes no difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts