Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cameron was sick on March 28, 29, 30, 31st. Low grade fever. Cold symptoms like nasal congestion, sore throat. He did vomit twice. Then on this past Sunday evening, he started with a rash under his eyes. Now, it's all over both cheeks.

Does that sound like Fifth's disease to those who have dealt with it??

And if that is what it sounds like- does this require a doctors visit?

I have to make sure he is healthy by Saturday- He's going to his very first NHL game and is excited beyond measure!!!

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I've been there - no vomiting...rash on face and palms...bad cold like symptoms. Both kid and I had it at the same time!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Hey Amy, I keep meaning to tell you that I'm sorry I didn't wave on Sunday - I was looking across the road and caught your face in the last split second before you were by us, and even then it didn't register because I was expecting a green van!

You have to notify me of vehicle colour changes you know! LOL

Anyways, here's my belated wave!

/wave!!

and I hope Cam's feeling better by Saturday, otherwise, he's gonna be one sad kiddo.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I never heard of that. I hope he's better by Sunday, Aim. Poor kiddo. :(

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI Karina!! LOL. I figured you didn't recognize the van, plus Brendan was with me, so I figured that might throw you off. lol.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Another one of the less heard of childhood diseases. Tylenol and rest and he should be ok.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html

good luck
Man, all my kids had fifths and scarlet fever at one time or another. And since whooping cough is making a great comeback in WI, I expect them to get it even though they're vaccinated.

My kids are great at getting the 'unexplained viral rash'. Usually after they get a cold or sometimes not even then, they'll get a rash on their torso.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I had fifth's disease last weekend, caused by bourbon consumption. Symptoms usually appear in the morning and include nausea, vomiting, lethargy, and splitting headaches.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
When Darbi had it, her face literally looked like someone slapped her (hard) on one cheek.

I sent her to school and her face was fine. By 9 am, the nurse called me and told me Darbi had a fever and she was sure it was Fifth Disease. I was like...."what? she was fine this morning." LOL!

"Well when you see her, you'll see what I'm talking about."

When I got there, sure enough, her cheek was bright red and almost a little raised too. If not for that distinction, I don't know if we would have suspected anything other than a common cold. And if I remember correctly, there wasn't anything we could do for Fifth other than treat the symptoms and let it run it's course.

I hope he's feeling better soon, Amy!! Big hugs to you both!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is Fifth's. I took him to the doctor this morning since my SIL is pregnant. Wanted to get confirmation for her sake.

he feels fine, just looks rough due to the rash.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Awww poor Cameron. Did Doc say how for it to run it's course?

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
It is very dangerous to the fetus if someone pregnant gets it. My grandson had it and just felt off for a few days. His mom is pregnant and she was tested to see if she was immune to it. Thank God she was. So at some point in her life she had it but never knew it. I think it is very mild for adults and most never know if they have it.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is very dangerous to the fetus if someone pregnant gets it. My grandson had it and just felt off for a few days. His mom is pregnant and she was tested to see if she was immune to it. Thank God she was. So at some point in her life she had it but never knew it. I think it is very mild for adults and most never know if they have it.
This is our concern for my SIL. I've told her. She wants to wait until April 28, which is her next appointment. My husband (her older brother) will have none of that. He is telling her tomorrow she needs to call ASAP to get in for a blood test.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
The doctor told my dil that most adults are immune to it but she was very worried until she got her test results back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts