Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hee.

This is gonna be good! Cast is diverse in its experience but shows a lot of potential.

Had to laugh at DW#2, who sat next to me during the read.

When it was all over and we were driving home:

Me - "So.... what'd you think of your old man?"
Her - "You were loud!"

snert

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Off-book by the end of May. THEN blocking, which is a change for me, as I'm used to writing blocking notes down in the script and working the both together. But the directors want more freedom during blocking, not noses buried in pages.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
*snort* Off book by end of May.
*chortle* *choke* *rolls on floor laughing*

Be sure your jeans have a hip pocket to tuck your book into. You know. Just in case. In case the end of May arrives a lot earlier this year. You know.

Blocking sucks with or without marginal notes.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What's blocking?
*blank stare*
Amy, blocking is where the actors should be located on stage during a particular scene. Also how they should move and where they should go while their lines or the lines of others are spoken.

Jane should be leaning against the tree while Michael is singing and skipping from stage left to right. Is blocking. Jim is peeking his head out from behing the rock while screaming "You filthy whore". Is blocking.

A lot of times they will mark up the stage floor with tape so people know exactly where to stand or where to start off before a dance.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Excellent explanation, Laurie! Thanks. :)
Jim is peeking his head out from behing the rock while screaming "You filthy whore". Is blocking.
LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
What Laurie said. And a lot of times, tons of blocking will fly out the window when you begin working with lights. Reblock that! Of course, by that time the actor's body is automatically moving through the original blocking, so the wars begin.

"Change the bloody lighting! My character wouldn't move from the new angle!"
"Then change your bloody character! I'm putting the rose colored light over there and I am NOT going to change it!"

It's really ever so much fun.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then toss the scenic design into the mix. Where the door that you rehearsed as being over THERE turns out to be over THERE!

And the chaise lounge turns out to be a wing-back chair.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It's pretty cool that she gets to see Dad in a completely different way. Especially as she's about to enter the "Dad doesn't know ****" years.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What Laurie said. And a lot of times, tons of blocking will fly out the window when you begin working with lights. Reblock that! Of course, by that time the actor's body is automatically moving through the original blocking, so the wars begin.

"Change the bloody lighting! My character wouldn't move from the new angle!"
"Then change your bloody character! I'm putting the rose colored light over there and I am NOT going to change it!"

It's really ever so much fun.
Oh yeah! :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts