Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and be glad you dont live closer to me

in a little piece of the latest madness that is my life the local animal control looks posed for a strike ... the manager of the local facility has asked for help moving the most vulnerable out

including a ferret ... (and kittens, cats, dogs, rabbits, mice and a hamster - no labs yet)

I know very little about ferrets but have a foster home lined up - except I need to provide housing for the critter - I'm hoping a tall cockateil cage might suffice .. it's 4 feet high and square side to side
my other option is a long low cage (4 feet long)

any experts here? thoughts welcome

cheers and thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bars are 1 inch apart
it's 3'6 by 24 by 24 not ideal I'm sure but with hammocks and shelves hopefully doable??

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We have a ferret. A little girl named Daisy. Her cage is about 3' tall with three levels. The bars have about 1/2" gaps between them.

I'd go with the long cage. We took her levels out for now. She won't use her litter box with them in. We have her a little tent and hammmock to sleep in and a high back, long litter box is important (not the corner ones - we learned the hard way). Litter has to be dust-free (we're using a mixture of crystals and yesterday's news). For food, we're using evo ferret food (though considering switching to blue buffalo cat food for her).

They are VERY playful, but sleep a lot too. Socialization with the family is important as they can become nippy without it. Daisy and the cats & dogs get along wonderful and play together. I'm not sure if that would be the case for all, but I was worried since my cats are mousers. They love balls (esp with bells), those feather on a stick toys for cats, and you can teach them simple tricks like roll over with food or clicker training.

She's a fun pet. :). We've only had Daisy about 6 weeks, but me and hubby met because of a ferret so we have prior experience of a few years. :).
I'm not sure if any of this helps, but ask away, and I'll try to answer. There's a ferret forum at forum.ferrets.com that's a good resource.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Any parts of it plastic? ferrets make labs look like novices in the chewing department. ;)

Also, they have very, VERY high prey drives, if you have any small animals at all (birds rodents etc) put them under serious lock and key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.