Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek::eek::eek:

Please tell me this isn't so...

I just moved into a my first house. Townhouse to be precise. It has two patches of grass. One out front and one out back which I lovingly call my yard.

I wanted to fence the back yard so had some one come by and give me an estimate. He quoted me $8000!!!!!!!!!!! I feel this is way tooooooooo high. But then again I don't have experience with fencing and such. :eek:

I have an HOA so I can only install certain kinds of fence. I was quoted the $8000 for approximately 200 linear ft with 1 gate. It is one of those white vinyl fencings.

soooo my question is should I just expect to spend something like that? Of course I am going to have other builders come in and give me estimates. But if this is an amount I should expect I may just put it off till next summer.

I live in northern MD.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
seems WAY high to me. You are talking about enclosing a 10 by 20 foot area? You should be able to do that yourself with product from Loews or HD.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
That person is trying to fleece you. It's always cheaper to do it yourself, but still, I helped my friend fence an area several times that size for only about 25% of the cost. Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples here, we are talking about a wood fence, correct?

Oops, I see where you said what kind. I have no idea what those cost, but it still seems high.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
White vinyl as in the vinyl plank stuff that looks like wood, but it isnt'? I still say a bit pricey, but that fake stuff IS costly......

For us to do 6 posts plus wood = just over a $1000.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seems WAY high to me. You are talking about enclosing a 10 by 20 foot area? You should be able to do that yourself with product from Loews or HD.
Sorry, I meant to say linear foot and said Sq. ft :eek: It's a ~80ft by 30ft. I say ~80 ft because that includes the utility esment (sp?) which I won't fence in.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That vinyl stuff is super expensive.. mostly because you put it up once and you're done.. doesn't need maintenance or replacement like wood does..

I don't know how much it costs, but i suggest getting at least 2 more quotes before deciding.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
That's absurd! Lots of people out of work now. Look around and find a handyman or independent fence type person and they should be able to do it much less. I had my entire yard fenced with 6ft. wood privacy fencing for 1/4 of that!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I really can't compare as my fencing project was complicated and used 2 different kinds of fence. I did use vinyl along the part of the yard facing the street - and had to use the same version as my next door neighbor as our boundry with their yard was already done in that vinyl. My left side yard boundry was about a 100' run on black vinyl chain link - because my hedge is growing through it and it's now invisible. I think we spent all told about 3K for our job - but it was only 2 sides of the yard.

It is very hard also to compare your price in a DC suburb with other parts of the country where prices will very likely be cheaper - but you really do need to get more prices.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Am I correct in understanding that your HOA will only allow PVC/vinyl fencing?

I had my first yard fenced in PVC (beige, 6ft privacy fence with lattice on the top), just over 100 linear feet plus one gate, and it was around $4000 at the time (5 yrs ago). It was installed by a fencing company. I've since seen PVC panels at HomeDepot/Lowe's and I bet doing it that way (semi DIY) it would be a LOT less expensive.

I'd get a few estimates from a few companies, or look into the HD/L's option if you're stuck doing PVC. It's extremely expensive but looks really nice though, and maintenance free. ;)

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I just bought my Mother 4 panels of white vinyl fencing, 6 feet high and 6 feet long. It cost $385 for the panels, pressure treated posts that the panels slip over and various hardware. I thought it pricey for 24 feet. I bought it at Lowe's.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I say call around...go to Lowes or Home Depot and price the materials. Ask them if they have anyone who installs it. I agree with the unemployment the way it is I bet you could get a handyman to do it for a lot less. But as they say that stuff is expensive. If you have priced the materials you need it will give you an idea. I would also measure and take the exact measurements with you.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I got a 6' woodent privacy fence when I moved in. Materials and installation it was just shy of $2000 for one side of my back yard. Can't remember how long it was. I thought it was fairly reasonable. But I know the PVC stuff is really expensive. Of course, times were much better in 2007 than today. So I would also call around, get other estimates, and go from there. I bet you can get the cost down quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Amy's not around today so...

THUD!

ROFL! :D

Yeah I am definitely calling a couple of other companies. Asked a couple folks in the neighborhood who have their fences done who they went with.

Also noticed something after...uhhh the guy totally read the property plan incorrectly. My backyard isn't nearly as long as he assumed to give me that estimate :p

Going to Lowe's and Home Depot tomorrow to talk to them and see how much it all comes too. Oi...home ownership isn't cheap :eek: but I am liking it :)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I just finished fencing my back yard last week. Grand total of just over $3,000 for the materials. The neighbour & I installed it ourselves. It's steel panels with a 10 year guarantee. I know you can't compare costs & materials between different countries but $8,000 is ridiculous in anyone's language or currency. :mad: I'd get at least 2 or 3 more quotes.

This is what I got for 3K $AUD. I installed the missing gate yesterday. :rolleyes:

http://forum.justlabradors.com/showthread.php?t=5881&highlight=dogs+fence

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
ugh....
you don't want to know what we paid for our aluminum fencing

everything in Hawaii is pricey because of shipment costs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts