Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puff has appointments next week for dental work at Kansas State's ColVetMed Teaching Hospital Small Animal Clinic -- Tuesday for blood work and then back early Thursday AM for teeth scaling (which she's had once before) and treatment of a cracked tooth. She'll have a general anesthesia.

I assume she can be picked up that afternoon unless there are some complications.

It's the cracked tooth I'm wondering about.

I don't recall any mention of extraction.

How is a cracked tooth treated? Is the crack spread apart slightly so that some type of glue can be sandwiched in?

Thanks for any information

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Hi Bob!

Interesting... I would think that it would depend on how the tooth is cracked, ie. does the crack go into the pulp of the tooth? If so, I think that the treatment options for dogs are somewhat limited... either root canal or extraction.

If the tooth is just cracked/chipped without extending into the pulp, I would keep an eye on it just the same... sometimes small cracks can still propagate and grow and eventually extend into the pulp and could allow bacteria into the pulp and cause an abscess.

Let me know what they wind up doing!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Huckle had a cracked back molar for some time but then his gum started getting a bit red and we set up to have it extracted. Because it was cracked they said it was a very difficult extraction.

Good luck with Puff!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Teddy had a top molar removed last week. The tooth was fractured, think it was called a slab fracture, about 4 years ago and had caused no problems until last week when it abscessed and had to be removed.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ruger has two premolars on the right side of his lower jaw that are worn down to nubs from his tennis ball (tennis balls are BAD things, the fuzzy coating on them acts just like sandpaper). These teeth have never bothered him. Vet said if they should bother him we'll extract them then.

Good luck with Puff.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Good thoughts for Puff.

Zoe cracked her lower canine to the pulp and had to have a root canal. $$$$

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Good thoughts for Puff. Abbey had one of her upper incisors removed a couple of months ago because it was broken and the pulp was exposed.

I think it depends on the health of the tooth (i.e. was the pulp exposed?) and which tooth it is and how important it is to the dog's ability to eat

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it depends on the health of the tooth (i.e. was the pulp exposed?) and which tooth it is and how important it is to the dog's ability to eat
Gee, I hope she won't need a plate or bridge that I have to put in and take out. :D

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No advice, but sending good, healthy thoughts for Puff!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE

Puff & I just got back from getting her pre-op bloodwork and evaluation done in preparation for her dental trip Thursday.

In the evaluation, our vet also found a corn on the side of a paw pad on her right front foot. She advised just watching it, that good surgical outcomes are iffy.

She found 2 cracked teeth, the worst is a premolar.

They'll X-ray any questionable teeth and go from there.

IF they can use glue, it'll be $40 @ tooth treated. Extractions are more expensive. If they extract, she'll need to stay over night so they can give pain meds and check the recuperation. During the anesthesia, she'll be well-monitored by an array of machines, IVs, anesthesiologists, etc.

Our vet pleaded with me to use our Interceptor more often than @ 45 days 8 months of the year. She said there's a big increase in the incidence of heartworm in Kansas so I guess we'll comply.

Since I found last fall that Puff's weight had increased to 65 lbs., I've been gradually reducing the amount of food she gets each meal.

Today on the Teaching Hospital scale Puff weighed 62.4 lbs.

WHOOPEE!!!

On our way to the appointment, Puff realized where we were going and began getting excited, crooning with anticipation, more so & louder the closer we got. She almost yanked me off my feet on our way through their front door. Every vet student or vet she saw pass through the waiting room she wanted to kiss and many came over to oblige her.

After the bloodwork and evaluation, our vet and the 4th year student brought her back to me in the examining room and the vet tried to show me the teeth in question (one is a premolar). Puff is enormously skittish about some examinations and opening her mouth to examine her teeth is one. She tried burrowing under my chair after we accomplished a couple hurried looks.

I'll drop her off Thursday morning about 6:45 and they'll call me that afternoon to let me know whether to come come back that day or next.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm intrigued by the glue... wonder if it can be used on human patients??? ;)

If they *do* use the glue, Bob, can you find out about it for me? I'm curious! I'm very fascinated by canine dentistry. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Thanks for sharing the update Bob! Keep us posted on how things go for Puff Thursday :) Good thoughts for you both!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Piper had her 4th pre-molar removed about 2 months ago due to a slab fracture. We could either wait until it possibly bothered her or got infected or do it right away - I opted for right away. It was a difficult extraction because the tooth was still healthy.

The surgery went well but she was very groggy and in a bit of pain so she did have to stay over night. She's just fine today - but no more bones for her!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Felicia said
I'm intrigued by the glue... wonder if it can be used on human patients??? If they *do* use the glue, Bob, can you find out about it for me? I'm curious! I'm very fascinated by canine dentistry. Thanks
Happy to do that for you.

BUT I think "glue" is probably a misimpression that I formed initially and then, unfortunately, passed on.

It may be that calling it something like an "adhesive patch" or "overlay" might be closer to the actuality.

From what our vet said yesterday, IIRC, it MAY be that there's some grinding of the surface enamel and then overlaying an adhesive substance over the crack (not in it as in my earlier impression), and then fairing the overlay back to the tooth's OEM contour.

But possibly, IF the crack goes below the gum line they won't patch it but will have to extract it.

Does that make (more) sense?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Libby also had a molar that cracked. It became abcessed and had to be removed. She did not have to stay overnight though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts