Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year before Rodeo Houston a bunch of trail rides decend on Hoston. One started out over two weeks ago from the Rio Grande Valley traveling a couple of hundred miles and the largest group travels about 90 miles taking a week. The camp each night at a pre-selected camp ground.
Tonight we are expecting a winter strom with snow and sleet. How miserable will that be. Fortunately it should clear out by tomorrow when they hit the trail again to arrive here Friday evening in time for the big parade on Saturday. I does seem to rain at least one day each year on their parade but I don't think it has ever snowed on them.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I used to love the day the trail riders came through downtown Houston. They camped out overnight in Memorial Park and that was always my regular route into downtown. It was pretty magical stuff back in the 70s. The young girls would stand on the curbs of the downtown streets hoping against hope a real live cowboy would swoop her up onto their horse. There were always many obliging cowboys. : -)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I was thinking about them today as I drove to work through Memorial Park. They've had the tape up for the route for several days now. I just hope they don't have any more problems with heaters, etc. this year. I think it was last year that a young woman died of carbon monoxide posioning at one of the camps on the route probably from a portable heater, it was tragic.

I am really looking forward to Rodeo, though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts