Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had Scout for five days now and I love him dearly. He is very playful and cute. When Rocky died about 4-5 weeks ago I was so depressed and several people suggested that I get a new dog as soon as I can. I looked for breeders but I couldn't find any reputable breeders that had available puppies. I found a website called California labrador retrievers and they had a number of available pups. When he was sent to me he came with two vaccinations, deworking and dew claws removed. I never got the chance to talk with the breeder. I was required to use this dog purchasing site as an intermediary that would answer my questions. He was not checked for hip dysplasia or eye problems. I feel very bad about that.

Last night I did a search of this breeder and found she was in Missouri. I looked at her website and she had quite a few puppies but they were all difference breeds, there must have been ten different breeds. I felt sick because I thought this could very likely be a puppy mill. I'm fortunate in the fact that Scout seems well socialized and has know fear of anyone. He settled into our house very quickly so the transition went off without a hitch.

So that is my story and I feel guilty because I feel like I was an irresponsible buyer. Fortunately for me he seems like a good pup with exception of his biting is quite frequent. Has this happened to anyone else? I just kick myself for being irresponsible about how I purchsed him. My first dog Rocky I did all the right things, I met the breeder saw the pup at five weeks and visited every week until he came home at 8 weeks, let the breeder choose what puppy. He was an amazing dog. I just love Scout soI feel guilty too about questioning my judgement on the process I went through because everything in the end seems to have worked.

Sorry this is so long but I felt I needed to get this out and I'd like to get other people opinion

Thank you,
Debbie

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Well - no sense crying over spilt milk. You have him and it sounds like he has a good home. It's unfortunate that you supported a puppy mill - but what's done is done.

You should make sure to spread the word about the right way to find a puppy because you will have people asking where you got him.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Missouri is horrid for puppy mills, I live here. :(

Don't come down to hard on yourself, you got a wonderful pup and will be giving him a wonderful life much better than he would have known if this person is, in fact a Mill.

I got Lucky from a BYB before I joined JL and didn't know anything about breeders or how to go about it. I've got a wonderful dog regardless and so do you.

I'm sure you learned from the experience and you still have Scout so don't beat yourself up over it. Just give him lots of love!! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your encouragement. You are right no use crying over spilled milk. Things have worked out so I'm extremely lucky. I will be sure to get the word out how to correctly purchase a puppy in the future.

Debbie

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
It's okay. Live and learn, eh? Think of it as rescuing the pup from who-knows-what. He'll be good to you and you'll be good to him. That is the blessing here. Okay? :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think I have to respectfully disagree with the group here. I mean, I'm not slamming you about it, but encouragement after the fact is as bad as encouragement beforehand and there are too many puppy mills flourishing out there because people won't let a deal go even though they suspect something is queer about it. I'm not a pro at buying Labs, but I probably wouldn't have gone through with the deal without meeting the breeder, visiting the home, and seeing the parents first. Any place that tries to discourage you from personal contact is suspect in any endeavor. There are simply too many breeders out there to have terms dictated to you. It is YOUR money after all, and this pooch is going to be with you for a LONG time. Best you should feel in control of the transaction at all times or simply walk away...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I think I have to respectfully disagree with the group here. I mean, I'm not slamming you about it, but encouragement after the fact is as bad as encouragement beforehand and there are too many puppy mills flourishing out there because people won't let a deal go even though they suspect something is queer about it. I'm not a pro at buying Labs, but I probably wouldn't have gone through with the deal without meeting the breeder, visiting the home, and seeing the parents first. Any place that tries to discourage you from personal contact is suspect in any endeavor. There are simply too many breeders out there to have terms dictated to you. It is YOUR money after all, and this pooch is going to be with you for a LONG time. Best you should feel in control of the transaction at all times or simply walk away...
The poster did all this with her first Lab, she acknowledges that in hindsight she should have done the same with Scout in her original post. It's obvious that she purchased Scout out of grief, albeit that probably wasn't the best thing to do but he is obviously helping her through that grieving process which is wonderful.

Cut her some slack. The rest of the group are showing compassion, it bothers me that you don't "agree" with that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not going to pass judgement on you, that is not my place, I can tell you I have a Golden/Lab mix who is now 11 mos old that has a loving home, access to vet care if needed and i would not give him up for nothing, he was bought from a BYB that had an oops litter, Tex cost me $50. When I got Austin last month again it was from a BYB, but this person a. had his health certs ready, b. shot records. c. showed us pictures of how he was born. and d. met with us to pick the pup for us. Again I would not give Austin up for nothing. Now with me saying that would I do it again, No! I would look for a proper breeder but there our BYB that are just as responsible.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
The poster did all this with her first Lab, she acknowledges that in hindsight she should have done the same with Scout in her original post. It's obvious that she purchased Scout out of grief, albeit that probably wasn't the best thing to do but he is obviously helping her through that grieving process which is wonderful.

Cut her some slack. The rest of the group are showing compassion, it bothers me that you don't "agree" with that.
She realized she made a mistake, but feeling awful about it isn't going to change that. So I agree with Sarah.

Like I stated before Lucky was from a BYB. Will I ever do that again? Absolutely not. Do I feel bad that I supported a BYB? Absolutely. Am I sorry I got Lucky? Absolutely NOT! She has turned out to be a wonderful addition to my family and the way I look at it is I learned a lesson, just like the OP did.

Happy came from a rescue...he was severely beaten and starved and numerous other things in the short time before I had him. He's a golden/lab mix they tried to pass off as a full lab. I love him dearly too and I strongly encourage adoption as a possibility.

Sam came from the a pound about 30 miles from here. He was on his LAST DAY. He had about 4 hours until they were going to PTS him. It's obvious his lineage isn't from a reputable breeder either, but I wasn't about to hold that against him.

Again if your going to 'purchase' a lab. Then yes we all know now what to do. But the OP realized she made a mistake and owned up to it by saying how bad she felt. If somebody yelled at me for how I got Lucky now, I'd be spitting fire at them. Feeling bad now isn't going to change how she got Scout, and us giving her support isn't going to make her go to a puppy mill in the future. :p

Just my two paws worth. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the support from almost everyone, however I don't feel bad for what kdryan said because it is true, that is why I feel guilty. However I noted I would never do that again or encourage anyone else to either. Like I said everything is working out so I got lucky, but I HATE the fact that I am helping to support a puppy mill. I am so opposed to puppy mill and would never had done this had I known I was getting it from a puppy mill. I have learned my lesson and next time I get a dog I will put my request a year before I want it so I have plenty of time to get it from reputable breeder

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
exactly my point. You learnt your lesson on your own... I feel that his response was unnecessary, the rest of us realised from your first post that you already feel awful about it... what's the point in rubbing it in?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks for the support from almost everyone, however I don't feel bad for what kdryan said because it is true, that is why I feel guilty. However I noted I would never do that again or encourage anyone else to either. Like I said everything is working out so I got lucky, but I HATE the fact that I am helping to support a puppy mill. I am so opposed to puppy mill and would never had done this had I known I was getting it from a puppy mill. I have learned my lesson and next time I get a dog I will put my request a year before I want it so I have plenty of time to get it from reputable breeder
That's what I plan to do when I talk Shane into me getting a chocolate or another yellow. :)

Can you send me the info on that breeder? I have some people I can pass the info on to have them seriously looked into and maybe shut down. We've had a lot of puppy mills shut down in the recent past.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Dont worry Debbie I to made a mistake buying a puppy. Living in Southern California youn would think that it would be easy to find a good breeder....its not till you join one of the lab clubs in the area. Then you suddenly have access to alot of the good breeders and they will actually talk to you. Spending $20-30 to join a club is the best investment you can make before buying a pup. And joining this list is also a great investment before getting a pup. lrcsocal.org is the web link to your local lab breed club. Perhaps to make up for buying from a puppy mill you could join that club and help them out at the next pet expo at the Orange County fair grounds.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thanks I'll forward this on to some of the rescues and see if they know anything about them, that's insane the amount of breeds they have!!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Thanks I'll forward this on to some of the rescues and see if they know anything about them, that's insane the amount of breeds they have!!
That is what I was thinking.. and so many cross breeds too. It's great that you may be able to help Brandie.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Dont worry Debbie I to made a mistake buying a puppy. Living in Southern California youn would think that it would be easy to find a good breeder....its not till you join one of the lab clubs in the area. Then you suddenly have access to alot of the good breeders and they will actually talk to you. Spending $20-30 to join a club is the best investment you can make before buying a pup. And joining this list is also a great investment before getting a pup. lrcsocal.org is the web link to your local lab breed club. Perhaps to make up for buying from a puppy mill you could join that club and help them out at the next pet expo at the Orange County fair grounds.

Kelly and Amber
In NJ the breeder info is clearly visible on the club sites. Not hard at all to find reputable breeders. And free.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Actually people can and do acquire great puppies from great breeders without visiting the litter and seeing the parents. The breeder's credibililty and reputation can make up for that visit. What is more important in my opinion is securing proof of all health clearances, supporting breeders who compete their dogs in some venue, and finding breeders for whom breeding for temperament is paramount.

No one here congratulated her for supporting a puppy mill. She clearly understands the poor choice she made. What has been expressed to her is support, not encouragement.

There will be plenty of opportunity on this board to correct the arrogant and ignorant. This woman was not one of those folks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fair enough, and while remaining respectful, Debbie said she didn't research the breeder until after the puppy arrived. Then she found out the only contact she could make was through the website and that they were suspect. I understand the not wanting to wait, and Debbie, I am glad you found a friend, but you asked for an opinion and I answered. I would have dealt with a local breeder who I could check out thoroughly, visit the premises, and meet the parents. I think if you look, you'll find that quite a few organizations agree with me on that. If you were looking for a pup that was purebred and show quality, then I would think that you would do the research and wait. If you were simply looking for a friend, that happened to be all Lab, then there are other avenues you could have taken.

Again, please understand that I don't think you're evil incarnate because you made a mistake. We are all here because we love Labs and that pretty much makes us kindred spirits in my book. But I also am not the kind of person who would dissemble when it would do you no good. Yes you have learned your lesson, you have a beautiful new friend out of it, and perhaps even saved the pooch from a much worse life than he would have.

Also, I understand that I am new to this board, and in a relationship like this, time must be taken to feel each other out and gradually accept each others idiosyncrasies. I know that some times in the real world, things I say may be misconstrued or misunderstood. Please however, do not think me either arrogant or ignorant. I will as easily admit my mistakes as I will address those of others. I am not mean spirited, I do not revel in schadenfruede, and I am NOT overly argumentative. An opinion was asked for and a response was given. If it is not one you agree with, that is fine with me. We can simply agree to disagree...

Namaste...

Kevin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could not have looked up the breeder because the website I used to purchase Scout would not give me the breeder information. The day after I provided them with a down payment I called to cancel my order but once you pay part of the price to get your dog they will not reimburse if you cancel order so I decided to get Scout inspite of my concerns. I found out the name the breeder on the application to register Scout with AKC. At least they only offered limited registration. As soon as I got her name I did a web search out found out the information provided on the URL. I screwed up, I know that but I can't take it back so I'm take the advice of most of this people on the board to just move forward and give Scout all the love and provide him with good training. I taught to sit in two days, now he will sit on command without any treats. I'm so proud of him.

Debbie

1 - 20 of 34 Posts