Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the other thread..........

Honorable mention to the last scene in Hatari where the elephant babies are chasing “Mama Tambo”……….to She Wore a Yellow Ribbon when it's Captain Brittles last day and the platoon buys him a watch……and he rides away while everyone cries………to the quiet man and the last fight with Will Danaher.

My favorite though is True Grit……when he is across the field from “Lucky” Ned Pepper and three bad guys (including the original Mexican Bob):)

he says..... "I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?"

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."

He gives him a dirty look and yells back....... "Fill your hands, you son of a *****."

he puts the rains in his mouth, pulls out his customized lever action with the big lever guard so he can spin the gun with one hand and keep shooting and his six shooter in the other and charges up to them firing with both guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AX4nw6JDg

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
In "Big Jake", everybody Wayne meets says "I thought you was dead?" There's always a big pause and he says "Not hardly". And then he kills them.

It's a great movie.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Too many great ones to mention, but one of my perversely favorite is as Gengis Khan in "The Conquerer."

Laughably godawful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not from a movie but...

Inscription on Mr. Wayne's headstone:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
i don't have the exact words, but from the movie The Cowboys:

When Bruce Dern (a favorite actor and John Wayne's choice to kill him) and the rest of the rustlers are going to hang Mr. Nightlinger (Rosco Lee Brown) and he asks for a few minutes to pray.

He's talking about being forgiven for cheating at cards, trifling with married women, and asks forgiveness for the men he's killed and those he's about to kill and then just looks at Dern with that look.:D

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Very sad, but I love the end of The High and The Mighty. It's where he's in the airport all by himself after saving the plane. Very touching. Oh, and anything from Hatari.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i don't have the exact words, but from the movie The Cowboys:

When Bruce Dern (a favorite actor and John Wayne's choice to kill him) and the rest of the rustlers are going to hang Mr. Nightlinger (Rosco Lee Brown) and he asks for a few minutes to pray.

He's talking about being forgiven for cheating at cards, trifling with married women, and asks forgiveness for the men he's killed and those he's about to kill and then just looks at Dern with that look.:D
We hated Bruce Dern in my family. He was always either killing John Wayne or kidnapping somebody on The Big Valley. Probably a lovely guy in real life but one of the great bad guys.

·
Registered
903 Posts
For pure fun, you can't beat McLintock. Awesome group fight scene.

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth! But I won't. I won't. The hell I won't!"

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
It wasn't John Wayne's line- but "Green Barret" last scene - little boy looking for one of the solders killed "Peterson" "Peterson" ..... makes me a blubbery mess every time!!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
We hated Bruce Dern in my family. He was always either killing John Wayne or kidnapping somebody on The Big Valley. Probably a lovely guy in real life but one of the great bad guys.
I know a couple of folks who have met him, they say he is a very sweet guy. There was an exelant interview with him on the History Channel show in 2003 that was about the Centenial of the western movie. In The Cowboys it is said he went way out of his way to make sure he hadn't hurt or scared the kid with glasses.

BTW a few years ago, he made it into The Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City, an honor well deserved cause he is still the best bad guy in movies.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Speaking of True Grit...here's an awesome sketch...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts