Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help settle a debate!!

Is Happy fat :mad: or is he stocky? I SAY he's stocky cause it's well distributed.

Either way he's on a diet and exercise program so he'll be thinner/healthier. (Thanks Laura for helping me out on that)

Happy the day I got him.

Happy the day we moved into the house (three years in OCT)

Happy yesterday.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
From the first 2 pictures it's really hard to tell - doen'st look too heavy to me. In the last picture, he does look a little "bottom heavy" so to speak.Is he still as heavy? How much does he weigh? Doesn't look like he would have to lose that much.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he was 82ish when I adopted him.

He weight 99 at the vets two weeks ago! :eek: He has a very thick neck!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I agree with Pat--it's too hard to tell. It would be good if we could have two pics, from the side looking straight on, and from the top looking down. Can you feel his ribs easily?

I do agree, though, that the last pic makes me think of Sir Mix-a-Lot. :) ("I . . . like big butts and I cannot lie . . . ")

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Kind of hard to tell, but I think he looks good. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
He sounds about the same size as Tal. He tetered on 100 lbs for a long time. Once I started home cooking their meals, upping the exercise, he lost weight and has stayed at between 82 - 85 lbs since. Now if dad could just do similar!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I do agree, though, that the last pic makes me think of Sir Mix-a-Lot. :) ("I . . . like big butts and I cannot lie . . . ")
*snort, chuckle* Okay Theo... you need to come clean my computer monitor now for making me spit water on it.

I do have to agree, the first two pics are a bit hard to tell. In the third he looks a little full-figured, but that could be the angle. Can you feel his ribs without a lot of pressure?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soon as I get back from the store I'll take him outside and get the two shots you guys suggested. I do have to push some to feel his ribs. His butts not big!! :eek: He is boootiful!!!

His neck has always been a bit thicker than his head, it's his crossbreeding. Thick neck, lil head, he can slip almost any collar you put on him, and if he's chasing a rabbit he'll dern well try!!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
you should be able to feel the ribs without pushing is what I heard.
what does your vet say?

hard to tell from photos.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Hard to tell from photos, but I'd say he's a little on the heavy side.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Isn't stocky just a *nice* word for fat? ;)

From the last pics, the roll on his neck and his undercarrige say he's a bit heavier than he needs to be.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Isn't stocky just a *nice* word for fat? ;)

From the last pics, the roll on his neck and his undercarrige say he's a bit heavier than he needs to be.
Agree. Sorry, but he looks a little heavy to me. You should be able to feel ribs easily, without having to push at all, really. And he should have a clearly defined waist when you look down on him, and a clear tuck up from the bottom of his ribcage to his groin when you look at him from the side.

Better pics would help, but from what you've described, sounds like he could shed a few. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with Pat--it's too hard to tell. It would be good if we could have two pics, from the side looking straight on, and from the top looking down. Can you feel his ribs easily?

Haha!!! Agreed.:D

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm curious if the vet said anything about his wt., mine is sure to tell me if Sammi is 2 lbs heavier then she should be!:D Then again she is a stickler for keeping them trim r/t hip and joint problems and just over all health issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
He looks good but also a little on the heavy side. My Baxter boy weighed 91.5 lbs. on 4/24 at his yearly check up and my vet said she wanted him weigh about 85 lbs. She said, "he's not fat but the more weight he has on him as he ages (he's 4) the more issues you will have." She said that at around 4 or 5 years old the Labs metabolism starts to slow down and if they are eating the same and exercising the same, they will gain weight due to the decrease in metabolism."
So, as anal as I am about how my dogs look, I immediately cut out all treats and increased exercise. Both my chocolates get only cucumbers, carrots, or snow pea pods as treats and when we did a weight check last week Baxter had lost 5.4 lbs, weighing in at 86.1 lbs, in 2 months. I was so proud of him. Mr. Mason, my 1 1/2 year old lost 3 lbs. Went from 91 lbs to 88 lbs. (he's taller than Baxter)
So, my suggestion would be to feed lots of vegetables. That's what my vet recommended and the boy's love it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts