Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I'm gearing up to find a new job (my current boss knows) and yesterday my mom and I went shopping for my early birthday present... a suit for interviews.

Anyways... here is what we got at Banana Republic (the jacket and the skirt... the shirt was ridiculous and not on sale :p )

I need shoes, tights/nylons (I'm incredibly white... and I know "nude" nylons are no longer in), and a shirt to go underneath... any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Were it me, I would go with a wider collared shirt underneath (collar outside of the lapel) in a shade that will accentuate your fair skin. I would also have the skirt tailored to taper in a hair more at the bottom, maybe, hard to say from that pic as your hands are on your thighs. As far as shoes, a closed toe pump in a neutral, beige/tan/champagne is very safe. That suit is too light for opaque tights, so I would say a nude nylon may be your best bet.

Good luck with the interview!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
gah.. that colour is the hardest to work with! Okay, "nude" probably isn't fashionable, but this is an interview.. the colour of your nylons isn't going to turn any heads.. nor do you want them to. If you were in a black suit you could wear black tights, but unless you find the perfect shade of beige for that suit, it'll look funny.. stick with nude nylons.

And i agree with T.. a button shirt with a collar will be much more tailored and professional.

If you really want to sizzle, invest in a pencil skirt.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
kelli said:
gah.. that colour is the hardest to work with! Okay, "nude" probably isn't fashionable, but this is an interview.. the colour of your nylons isn't going to turn any heads.. nor do you want them to. If you were in a black suit you could wear black tights, but unless you find the perfect shade of beige for that suit, it'll look funny.. stick with nude nylons.

And i agree with T.. a button shirt with a collar will be much more tailored and professional.

If you really want to sizzle, invest in a pencil skirt.
Or have that skirt tailored.

Lindsay, are your eyes green or blue? I would go with a shirt to match your eyes.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Do you have dark brown shoes? I'm worried you'll have too much going on.. dark hose, beige skirt and jacket with black buttons, colour shirt..

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Unless you are going into a fashion industry, I would not worry about being "fashionable". Nude hose, black or brown pumps with a moderate heel, collar blouse (or a mock turtle neck sweater - which I wear a lot in winter with my suits). Black for the top would be a nice choice with that winter white suit.

And - the skirt (as has been said before) would look better a little narrower. Not everyone can wear a pencil skirt and not look like a sausage, but an a-line is a little frumpy for someone as young as you.

IMHO, what you wear needs to be neat, clean, professional looking and not call all that much attention to itself. What you say should be what impresses.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
kelli said:
Do you have dark brown shoes? I'm worried you'll have too much going on.. dark hose, beige skirt and jacket with black buttons, colour shirt..
Forgot the buttons. Crap.

Ok, are those buttons brown?

If the buttons are, brown pumps to match the buttons, NUDE nylons, no tights... nothing opaque with that suit. and maybe a champagne-y-chocolate tone blouse underneath.

(in my head, it looks good)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not looking to make a huge fashion statement. I want something that looks nice enough and, more importantly, makes me feel good.

I have some dark brown dress shoes... but they aren't "pumps" and I don't think they would go so well with the skirt. Kinda like these... cept maybe a little shorter in the heel.

Yes the buttons are dark brown.

or

I dunno how I managed to pick both styles in patent leather

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
luvmydogz2much said:
Red, red is a power color.

Red shirt, and red shoes, closed toe.
I thought about going for a color... but I think I have enough red going on on top ;)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I think what you have chosen is perfect. And I agree with the sales lady; even a dark brown "dressy" "t" would go under that suit jacket with a nice brown pump and nude hose. You will look very professional and put together. Good luck and happy early birthday!!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The shoes are great. Perfect. I am going with a chocolate brown collared shirt and nude hose.

That said, if you did go with sheer, nude hose, and your shoes & buttons were a *perfect* match, you could do a coloured shirt, if you wanted. :happy:

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
zoezoe said:
I think what you have chosen is perfect. And I agree with the sales lady; even a dark brown "dressy" "t" would go under that suit jacket with a nice brown pump and nude hose. You will look very professional and put together. Good luck and happy early birthday!!
The sales lady said patterned chocolate brown nylons, Sandy. Not the shirt. That's how I read it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
oh.. dark brown buttons are better.. goodgood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts