Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cousin that, at one point in our lives, I was very close to. He's the same age and has a similar outlook on life, and we even went to the same high school. Our mothers are sisters, and they were very close, so we'd take vacations to the Jersey Shore together and rent a large house and generally have a blast - 8 kids and 4 adults under one roof, sharing everything from suntan lotion to pasta dinners to giggly whisperings at night, when we'd get yelled at to "STOP THAT SNICKERING IN THERE OR I'LL COME IN AND STOP IT *FOR* YOU!!"

<<snort... snicker... hee>>

We were really close -- of all the cousins, we were tightest. Totally sympatico. He was in our wedding.... and then in the intervening years of kids and mortgages, we drifted apart.

Well, this past weekend, he threw a HUGE family reunion. His reasoning was that he was "...sick and tired of seeing the family at large only at funerals."

So we went on Saturday, where the beer was cold, the burgers were hot, and the conversation was side-splitting. He's a newly-wed, and we had a blast telling his new wife a whole bunch of tales out of school. It was a terrific time.

Can't wait to see him again. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic time Dan! I have a cousin like that too - sadly, we don't see each other that often either, however, we did make a pact that we would dedicate 4 weekends a year to visiting one another. One down, three to go so far.

How far does he live from you?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TangerineFizz said:
How far does he live from you?
It's about a 40-minute run. He's living not far from the home he grew up in. In fact, his kids go to the same elementary school he did.

I told SU that I'd like to have them out before the summer's over. Do a day @ our swim club and throw some burgers on the grill.

Oh, and how's this for coincidences: He's got an 8 m.o. Chocolate Lab!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
That's great Dan! I love our family reunions! We weren't very close due to the distances involved, but I love getting together with my cousins. They bring back long forgotten memories!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Isn't it sad how families drift apart, usually only to come back together at funerals?

I'm so glad you got back in touch, Dan. Don't lose that again. So. Where are the pics
from Saturday? Did both of your brothers go?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzgrlduff said:
Isn't it sad how families drift apart, usually only to come back together at funerals?

I'm so glad you got back in touch, Dan. Don't lose that again. So. Where are the pics
from Saturday? Did both of your brothers go?
My one brother (the middle one, Paul) and his wife went. They had a great time, too. These cousins all have counterparts to our family -- kids that matched up age-for-age -- so he spent a lot of time catching up with my cousin Brian, while Michael and I and our wives were hooting to ourselves in the corner.

My eldest brother (Sean the hermit) was invited but did not attend. His counterpart-cousin (Kevin) was there.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Dan, I just don't understand how you could enjoy yourself knowing that Paris had to report to jail to begin serving her time. ::)
Sounds like you had a great time!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My eldest brother (Sean the hermit) was invited but did not attend.
Sounds like hermitboy needs a good swift kick in the arse. So does his wife.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jzgrlduff said:
My eldest brother (Sean the hermit) was invited but did not attend.
Sounds like hermitboy needs a good swift kick in the arse. So does his wife.
He is a dolt, through-and-through. And so is his lousy spouse.

Whatever opportunity he had to make amends with my Dad are now gone. That door has closed forever. I can't imagine the guilt, unless he has such a hardened heart that he feels no guilt (or any other real emotion either) at all.

And the door is closing on my Mom. As she continues to slip further and further away, the idea that they may reconcile has become a candle that is flickering, guttering out in the breeze. It hasn't been completely snuffed, but it's damned close. I don't know 100% anymore if she would even know who he is......

The worst part, IMHO, is that he's punished us ALL for things we weren't involved in in the least. He walked away from the family more than 10 yrs ago over some dumb argument. And in his eyes, we're all equally as guilty. So, for instance, he's the godfather to our eldest, but he hasn't sent her a birthday card, a Christmas gift, NOTHING for years. She's graduating elementary school on the day after tomorrow, and he'll have no idea at all.

He screens all his calls. If it's us, he does not pick up, nor return the call. And all mail is sent back unopened.

Sad really, that someone can let such bitterness invade his very soul.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Dan, I remember the story of Sean and his wife. It really makes you wonder what makes a person shut off like that, doesn't it? Something must have happened to harden his soul to the point of no return. It's really sad. Especially when you think of your childhood and how close you must have been back then to make him your daughters Godfather. I don't know what I would do in your situation. If I would keep trying to get through, or just let it go. :( It's a hard spot to be in.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have let it go. It's very painful.

Funny enough, my MIDDLE brother, Paul, was also estranged from the family for a long while, but for different reasons. He'd had a child out of wedlock and a horrid marriage, and he was basically ashamed to be around us. So he took himself into seclusion, too.

During that time, Sean and I were very close. He was my big brother. He taught me how to drive and whittle and laugh at the Three Stooges. When he went away to college, he'd come home the day before Christmas Eve with not a single Christmas present bought. And he and I would go out that night and I'd have a list pre-made for him of things that Mom and Dad said they wanted but that I knew nobody was giving them. And we'd SWOOP through the mall like Batman and Robin, arriving home with arms overflowing with bags and tags and paper etc. I'd then help him wrap everthing but what he bought me.

Eventually, though, thanks to a smart divorce and an EXCELLENT second wife, Paul came back to the family. And for about a handful of years, we were whole again. Until Sean went awry and everything blew up again.....

Yes. It's very painful.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
When he went away to college, he'd come home the day before Christmas Eve with not a single Christmas present bought. And he and I would go out that night and I'd have a list pre-made for him of things that Mom and Dad said they wanted but that I knew nobody was giving them. And we'd SWOOP through the mall like Batman and Robin, arriving home with arms overflowing with bags and tags and paper etc. I'd then help him wrap everthing but what he bought me.
That story just warmed my heart. Remember the good times Dan, remember the good times. :angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts