Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this email from "Facebook"

Dear user of facebook,

Because of the measures taken to provide safety to our clients, your password has been changed.
You can find your new password in attached document.

Thanks,
Your Facebook.
I immediately smelt a rat & logged out. Logged back in with my same ID & p/w & got straight in. In other words, my p/w hasn't been changed. The email has an attachment allegedly containing your "new p/w". DO NOT OPEN IT. It's probably a virus or spyware. The best thing you can do with this crap is to DELETE IT.

Just to confirm my suspicions, I did a trace on where it came from. Turned out it was from Seoul, Korea. Why aren't I surprised? :mmph:

ETA: I just checked which email acct that was sent to. It wasn't even the one I set up especially for f/b so it just goes to show these fools are spamming everyone in the hope of catching a few suckers. Sorry punks, this one's too smart for you. :nerd:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Honestly, don't these idjits have anything better to do with their knowledge? Like putting it to GOOD use?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not a member of Facebook and never will be but as a small time seller and buyer on Ebay I get this phishing crap all the time. The Nigerian government has been helping some in this matter but it is very difficult to prosecute internationally. If they send out 10,000 of these and get a .5 % reply with 99.5% seeing it as a scam well then they still have 50 accounts they can do what they want with. Profitable yes with little chance of prosecution.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Just got this email from "Facebook"

I immediately smelt a rat & logged out. Logged back in with my same ID & p/w & got straight in. In other words, my p/w hasn't been changed. The email has an attachment allegedly containing your "new p/w". DO NOT OPEN IT. It's probably a virus or spyware. The best thing you can do with this crap is to DELETE IT.

Just to confirm my suspicions, I did a trace on where it came from. Turned out it was from Seoul, Korea. Why aren't I surprised? :mmph:

ETA: I just checked which email acct that was sent to. It wasn't even the one I set up especially for f/b so it just goes to show these fools are spamming everyone in the hope of catching a few suckers. Sorry punks, this one's too smart for you. :nerd:
The awkward English in the opening should alert you. A native speaker would open with the intro "Dear Facebook User" and not sign off "Your Facebook".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts