Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anyone or gone through it themselves?

My mother was in a bad motorcycle accident a week ago. She is now more awake and talking but there's most definetly some fog up there.

I was just wondering how you have dealt w/ it all.

This is all so scary to me. :(

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Oh I am so sorry! You have my prayers. I really don't have any advise just remember baby steps..It will take a long time for the injury to heal and for her to become herself again!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
She's in the hospital? What did the doctors say?

I'm sorry. :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes still is the hospital. She will hopefully be moving to a rehab place later today.
She was in the ICU until Friday, and was then moved to a regular room.

The doctors don't really give you too much information.:mad:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Melissa, we have some nurses that are JL members so hopefully they can shed some light.

Prayers for a full recovery.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amy, Thanks so much!

I really hope she can recover fully, really really hope so.

She asked me yesterday to explain to her what happened during the crash and that whole day, since she can't remember. That was so hard to do.

I was behind her when the accident happened. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Was she driving the bike, or on the back of the bike? What did she hit?

That must have hard to witness. :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were all heading out for a little ride and meet up w/ some people at a resturant for brunch.
My mom and dad each ride their own motorcycle, and I was on the back of my boyfriends.
We had just met up w/ my parents at their house and left for the ride, less then 1/4 mile from their house the accident happened.
There really is no rhyme or reason as to why the accident happened. We will never know that one. She lost control of her bike, and tried to lay it down but something in the road caught the bike and sent her flying through the air slamming into the ground and tumbling. The bike did the same...it's totalled.
We thought she was dead at the scene.
The best sound I ever heard in my life was the terrible gurgle/breathing sound.
She layed there unconcious, blood pooling under her head, gash above her eye and lots of blood coming out her mouth.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
The doctors don't really give you too much information.:mad:
DEMAND answers from them. You have a right to know what's going on as her next of kin. I've had that same problem with some hospital doctors in the past. Some of them think you're too dumb to understand so they don't bother. I would (& have done) demand answers in plain english re her prognosis, future treatment & ability to live independently when she's released from hospital. If they wont cooperate with you, ask to see a patient advocate if there's one available & get more info through them.

Good luck with her recovery. Hang in there. It's hard ..... it's bloody hard. :(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG Melissa, how horrible!!!!!! I can't imagine. Gave me the chills just reading that. :( :(

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My father has been by her side and has talked w/ the doctors. I haven't had much time to chat about it all with him. I'm hoping once she's in rehab and I visit tomorrow we can get some more information.

She was wearing a helmet, but only one of those "skull caps". You know the barely there not even DOT approved ones.....yeah :( They (my parents) have already said they will be getting new helmets that are safer.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
advocate well but I'm not surprised they aren't giving you much information - thats the nature of brain injuries :( you often just don't know
I'm glad she's alive but she's going to be pretty rattled for awhile - and may lose short or long term memory - for now or for ever :(

we have a friend who was drilled in the side of his head with a golf ball (yah he was in the rright place but the people behind him were not - and thought they wouldn't be able to hit a ball that far so went ahead early. He has lost ALL short term memory permanently - he carries a card with him that has current info - his phone number, his address etc . Eventually with him short term items move to long term - it took him nearly 2 years to know his baby's name automatically.

I have also worked with long term brain injured folks who did a work placement at an agency I worked for. It was challenging - many had little control of their emotions and had real trouble learning routine tasks. Many of them did progress and have more function return though so please don't give up- keep those neurons firing and keep her working at function once the doctors give the ok.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with everything Brody said.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the accident and for the loss to you and your family.

From my experience in giving neurological tests to evaluate damage and progress of brain injured patients, unfortunately no one can give you a clear, reasonable answer at this time as to her prognosis.

I suggest you read up as much as you can on the rehabilitation of brain injured patients.

Very typically, the loss of functioning is most severe immediately after injury with some slow, gradual recovery of some functions over the following year.

Depending on the type of injury -- whether to a specific, localized spot or generalized trauma -- the function lost (speech, hearing, locomotion, vision, short or long term memory, executive control, emotional control, etc.) may be either more specific or more generalized.

Accurately predicting how much of what will be lost is absolutely imposssible at this time. Rehabilitation and some recovery usually takes place over a year or more. After six months, some educated guesses can be made that possibly might have 30-60% accuracy. The more rapid and complete the recovery is, usually the better the accuracy.

However, in the process of healing the injury, the scar tissue that forms inside the brain sometimes creates further brain damage and loss of function that, until that time, had been relatively unimpaired.

Again, I urge you to read up as much as you can about brain traumas and the variable outcomes in rehabilitating them.

Garth said
DEMAND answers from them. You have a right to know what's going on as her next of kin. I've had that same problem with some hospital doctors in the past. Some of them think you're too dumb to understand so they don't bother. I would (& have done) demand answers in plain english re her prognosis, future treatment & ability to live independently when she's released from hospital. If they wont cooperate with you, ask to see a patient advocate if there's one available & get more info through them.
While I agree with Garth on a number of things, and do agree that some doctors are not good about discussing outcomes with relatives about recovery prognosis of such things as broken legs, appendectomies, etc., not so with this -- in the case of brain trauma, no one can accurately tell you at this point.

I suggest you google such phrases as
brain trauma recovery prognosis
brain injury recovery
brain injury rehabilitation
and any others you think of, and read what those searches reveal.

Again, I'm terribly sorry your mother, you and your family has to go through this ordeal and wish you all a satisfying outcome.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob,
Thank you very much for your reply. I have been trying to read up when I can today. I haven't had much free time with all this going on. But I will surely google those phrases.

They doctors are very surprized at how well she is doing already. So I'm really hoping the outcome will be very positive. She can function normally as far as talking, walking, eating etc. She is having more problems w/ mixing up stuff when she's talking, and once and a while starts to ramble on about very weird stories. She remembers quite a bit of things, there doesn't seem to be a lot of forgotten information that we can tell as of now.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not really sure. She's not functioning the same as before.
Like when you talk to her she always has a little bit of a confused look on her face.
It's hard to explain....

Thank you everyone for the well wishes :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know exactly what they have done, but I know they have done some of those things...catscan..xrays..mri's

1 - 20 of 26 Posts