Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About how long before and after eating should I wait to exercise my 4 month old puppy? Thanks for any advice. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hm, just to complicate the discussion, I've always heard that it depends on what kind of exercise.

If it's something that's going to end up in a panting, exhausted puppy (which you should really be careful about at that age anyway), I've heard what Trickster heard.

If it's exercise like a stroll around the block exercise, I don't think it matters.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
If it's something that's going to end up in a panting, exhausted puppy (which you should really be careful about at that age anyway), I've heard what Trickster heard.

If it's exercise like a stroll around the block exercise, I don't think it matters
Oh yes, definitely. As you say, not that a 4 month old puppy should be doing anything strenuous anyway.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gabby'smom.........Sometimes when I play with my pup (fetch, or chasing each other, etc.), she does end up panting. That is when I usually call a time out and let her rest a bit and have some water. When you say to be careful at the age she is at, can you elaborate? I don't want to cause her harm. I always wonder if I'm exercising her enough, or too much. I try to take my cue from her. If she lays down in the grass and chews on the toy we've been playing fetch with, I let her chill out. If she's still running around like a maniac, I keep playing with her. I don't want her to overdo it. Can you advise? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Just use your judgment.

For example, don't do anything strenuous like this: http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/topic,42246.0.html
unless you are using Trickster's an hour before/an hour after rule. Actually, don't ever do anything like that with a puppy unless they're 18-24 months old.

Trickster has a really good post about exercise in the Training Tips section in the Best Advice sticky at the top. The general rule is no forced running on leash, no hard surfaces, and no more than 5 mins times the number of months old they are.

So your puppy is 4 months old. So 4 months old times 5 minutes is 20 minutes. However- use your judgment. The labby police are not going to take you away if you stay out there with her while she chases butterflies for 23 and a half minutes :)

However, just be mindful of young joints :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks you guys! I appreciate all the advice. This forum is wonderful, especially for a first-time puppy and dog owner like me. You are all really helpful and informative. I thank you, and my pup thanks you too! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts