Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that makes you want to throw up.

that's what I have. Been drinking wine and putting a hot water pack in the back of my shorts to relieve the pain.

Has anyone else suffered from this, and what did you do?
What causes it? It hurts more when I'm sitting down.

Needless to say, our house was not vacuumed today...first time in 4 years. Luckily I'm off on Mon/Tues so hopefully the pain will be gone by then.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Did you pull a muscle doing something? I always think of disc problems when someone says they have excruciating back pain. I hope it is just a pulled muscle.

If it no better tomorrow, you may need to see you doctor. You may need something if you have alot of inflammation. I hope it feels better soon.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I have disc problems; it could be that. If it doesn't go away soon, you need to see the doc. Lower back pain can be a number of things from discs, pinched nerves, ovary problems.......
Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh, no. I'm so sorry, Linda. Hey....how are you posting? Get off the chair and go lie down!!!

Is it a muscle spasm or something else? The muscle spasms have happened to me a few times. Basically rest and muscle relaxants are the only things that have ever worked for me. And then when the pain dissipates, figure out what caused it in the first place and start a program to fix yourself. Could be any number of things--not exercising enough, poor posture, stress, unusual activity, any combination of the above... Lower-back pain can be so difficult to figure out. I realized that for me, it was stress + too much sitting at a desk + bad posture + too much running. I've been working on improving my posture and it's really helped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...I don't know if it's a muscle spasm or disc issue.
I do have scoliosis, which never bothered me before, but now I'm in my 50s and maybe it's causing me problems?

I recall coughing this a.m. and then my back started aching.

Nathan, I've been putting the hot pack since 8:00 am today, and it seems to have alleviated much of the pain, so now I can finally sit down. Driving was the pits, though, especially in a very low bucket seat.

Pain is not a good thing. going to have a short nap.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Well, I'm no expert. But I've heard of people throwing out discs or causing muscle spasms, just by coughing. And I've also heard that scoliosis can put a lot of pressure on your lower back muscles because of the imbalances.

I hope it gets better fast! Maybe it's worth going to see a dr.? Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in the ability of most GPs to diagnose back pain.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
if the back pain has come on suddenly you should be putting on ice instead of heat. Heat feels great but it helps set the inflamation and it takes longer to heal. Ice is better but no more then 10-15 mins at a time. Take Advil or mortin to help with the inflamation.
Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Linda yrs ago I had a bad cold
I was coughing so bad it really hurt my lower back
I did have a weak lower back to begin with
if the pain goes down your leg - it could be a siatica (sp?) nerve

doc told me to rest it for a while
it even hurt to sit on the toilet!

I would lay flat on the floor and put my feet up on the couch
sitting on a kitchen type chair - with your feet flat on the floor
bend over forward - slowly bringing your chin to your chest
and relax in that position for a min
its a good way to stretch without doing an agressiv e excercise
I was told not to excercise or stretch too much until some of the pain went away

all the pain meds the Dr gave me didn't help that much
and I was taking a lot of percocet
believe it or not Midol helped my back
and when it did get better
I rode my bike on a regular basis which seemed to help a lot

you may want to try cold packs only 10 mins at a time

hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Linda, if you somehow injured your back you should be using ice instead of heat for the first 48 hours. Ice reduces the inflammation, and speeds up healing. Although heat may make it feel better, heat increases blood flow causing greater inflammation, more pain, and slower recovery.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
zoesmom said:
Hmm...I don't know if it's a muscle spasm or disc issue.
I do have scoliosis, which never bothered me before, but now I'm in my 50s and maybe it's causing me problems?

I recall coughing this a.m. and then my back started aching.

Nathan, I've been putting the hot pack since 8:00 am today, and it seems to have alleviated much of the pain, so now I can finally sit down. Driving was the pits, though, especially in a very low bucket seat.

Pain is not a good thing. going to have a short nap.
This reminds me of something I once experienced. Once when I was in college (I was home for a break) I sneezed and then had excruciating back pain for about a day. I figure I pulled a muscle or something. It was much better the next day, but I still totally remember it. Hope you feel better. How is Zoe's paw?

M

·
0 Posts
Hey, Linda, I'm the same age as you and have the same problem, sometimes. NEVER use heat. That expands the muscles which pulls on the nerve ends causing more pain. Roll up a hand towl, tight. Lat flat on your back on the floor, put the rolled towl under your neck, with the back of your head flat on the floor, no pillow. If you can lay like that for an hour, or better yet sleep like that, when you get up or wake up, you will have far less, or no pain. Try it, it works. Also put a cold pack behind your lower back any time you are sitting.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Agree with the ice. If it's muscular, it needs to be cooled to reduce the swelling.

It's not a kidney infection, right? Not that kind of pain?

Did it start immediately after the coughing? My mom once had a cold, just a couple of years ago, and she coughed so hard she knocked something loose in her eyeball. :eek: Sorry, I can't remember the name of it at this moment. But she has "floaters" (stars) in her vision now. They are watching it. It was like a detached retina, but not quite that severe...?

Do you see a chiropractor? I swear by them. Good ones, that is. Very non-invasive. I can be hurting, walk into mine, and walk out without pain. They sometimes do things like trigger point therapy, or electro muscle stimulation, and that helps me a TON!

I've thrown my back out a few times. It hurts so bad. :( I'm sorry!

·
0 Posts
I hope you are feeling better soon! Lower back pain is miserable!! I use ice initially and then heat for rehab when I have problems with mine. I like those Therma packs that you wear for heat - they really relieve a lot of the stiffness. Feel better soon!!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Linda ... Carol has been going to chiropractors for almost 10 years now. 1st one was in Vegas when she woke up with a pain in her lower back so severe that she said she couldn't get out of bed without rolling out. The Chiropractor (I used to think most were quacks) took X-rays and showed Carol a side-to-side misalignment of her spine. A series of manipulations where he would bend and stretch her as if in gymnastics gave her immediate relief. She went back once a week for a month and was fine for several years thereafter.

Twice again following the original incident it happened to her again for no apparent cause or reason. Once in Vegas and again after we moved to TX. Both times the treatments gave her almost immediate relief.

Carol told me that both doctors asked her during their initial consultation if I was younger than her. She couldn't comprehend the purpose of such a question. ::)

;)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I feel your pain!! sitting will only make it worse walking may help if its a muscle
it may take up to a week to feel better so just really baby it or you will be in more pain can you get one of those heat wraps themo-care makes them they help me whenever I pull my back out and like Georgie you may end up getting something from the Dr hope it feel sbetter soon :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts