Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've had the honor of rescuing a 6-8 month old yellow Lab.
He just wandered up to my house. I live out in the country, & people drop off unwanted pets all the time.
Anyway, Jack & I bonded right away. This is the BEST dog, except for one BIG problem.
Jack barks and patrols all night long!
He is an outside dog & has about an acre to roam.
He stays at his house faithfully.
He doesn't leave the property.
But...I do have a few neighbors. I'm afraid he is disturbing their sleep like he is ours.
What can we do?
Will he grow out of this?
I didn't think Labs were like this. Of course I've never owned one before.
He doesn't threaten people during the day. Or even bark alot.
It just seems like he freaks out at night.
I've tried to tell him "NO!", & he stops for a minute, but never for long.
My husband says he thinks Jack is so greatful to have found a home, that he's going to protect it at all costs.
This dog means business! Growling, barking & hair standing on end!
He's still very young, but sounds like a BIG dog.
What can we do? We are losing sleep!
Thanks,
bigalspal

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Welcome to our forum! :)

Labs are INSIDE, PEOPLE dogs. That's why he's barking. He's wondering why he's being kept outside 24/7, plus he's in a strange place. He's scared.

Why don't you bring him inside?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Is he neutered yet? How do you know how old he is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, this dog is NOT trying to tell me he wants inside. (I'm allergic to fleas).
When I go outside to be with him, he doesn't STOP barking & patrolling!
He gives me a friendly greeting & then runs back to the edge of the property & starts barking.
About the flea issue....I've tried dips, pills ect..but it's not enough.
I always end up in the hospital. So...unless I want to place Jack in a shelter...(I've ran an add in the newspaper, no takers) He has to stay outside.
So...now what do I do??

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Put Advantage on him for the fleas and bring him in at night. Even if you have to crate him I am sure he would be happier and settle down. It sounds like he is scared at night so that's why he only does the barking then. He would most probably feel safer inside.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Have you had him to a vet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't taken to the Vet, yet.
I cannot get him inside the car! I think he was very abused when he wandered up.
He used to show me his belly everytime I came near. But now, he's standing alot prouder.
I live alone. My husband is a truck driver & is gone ALOT. Our kids are grown.
My grandchildren LOVE Jack, but only get to visit him once every couple of months.
Do you think, given my FLEA situation, & that he might be too much dog for me?
What do I do then? I LOVE Jack! But I want what's BEST for him.
Like I said..I put an add in the paper, but no one took him.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Like someone suggested, get him on a flea preventative if you suspect he's got fleas. Those things actually really work. Then get him into a vet - he may very well be microchipped, and your vet's office will be able to detect that. Just cause you put an ad in the paper and noone came forth, doesn't mean someone might not be missing him. However, he may very well be abandoned too, in which case, it sounds like he's pickedyou to live with.

There is lots of good information on this site. Check it all out - like someone stated above, labs are very people oriented dogs. I would suggest that if you can get his fleas undercontrol, he would love to be inside with you at night, or whenever. They really do love company.

Advantage works great for fleas, as do a lot of other products too. Your vet will be able to suggest one to you, and I would also highly urge you to get him on a heartworm preventative so you can keep him around for a long, long time.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We use Frontline and have never had a flea problem. You must use it faithfully every month, plus heartworm preventative, as Tangerinefizz suggested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I WANT to take him to the Vet...but I can't get him inside the car! I've tried EVERYTHING! I'm by myself. I will have to wait till the end of the month for my husband to come home to help me.
Until then..I guess he has to stay outside.
I tried to give him a bath. He freaked out & I couldn't do it.
He's waaay to dirty to bring inside. I'm afraid I won't be able to handle him in the tub inside

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
bigalspal said:
I WANT to take him to the Vet...but I can't get him inside the car! I've tried EVERYTHING! I'm by myself. I will have to wait till the end of the month for my husband to come home to help me.
Until then..I guess he has to stay outside.
I tried to give him a bath. He freaked out & I couldn't do it.
He's waaay to dirty to bring inside. I'm afraid I won't be able to handle him in the tub inside
Oops sorry, I missed that part. Do you have a vet that makes housecalls? That might be a good solution - if he won't get in the car he might not ride in it so well either.

How is he on leash? Maybe you could spend some time during the day or night putting him on leash and just casually walking him around your property, and doing small obedience skills with him, to build him up to commands for bath time etc. You'll get an idea of whether he's been given any training thus far in life, and if not, you'll be giving him a good education, one that he will need anyways, and one that will make your life easier in the long run.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How is he on leash? Maybe you could spend some time during the day or night putting him on leash and just casually walking him around your property, and doing small obedience skills with him, to build him up to commands for bath time etc. You'll get an idea of whether he's been given any training thus far in life, and if not, you'll be giving him a good education, one that he will need anyways, and one that will make your life easier in the long run
Yes! GREAT idea Karina!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been working with Jack. I now have him pretty well leash trained.
I've taught him to sit, too.
I called my friend's Vet & will be taking Jack into the office tomorrow for a bath a shots & flea medication.
I'll just have to get him in the car one way or another!
It's been awhile since I tried. Maybe now he trusts me more.
Wish me luck!
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
bigalspal said:
I have been working with Jack. I now have him pretty well leash trained.
I've taught him to sit, too.
I called my friend's Vet & will be taking Jack into the office tomorrow for a bath a shots & flea medication.
I'll just have to get him in the car one way or another!
It's been awhile since I tried. Maybe now he trusts me more.
Wish me luck!
Thanks for the advice!
Just go slow with him. I would suggest trying a little bit today, don't force him in, just open all your car doors and sit in there yourself, and ask him to come in with you. Then just sit and hang out with him, feed him cookies, whatever, let him trust you and being in the car with you. That might make tomorrow a touch easier.

Good luck though!!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
If you could solve the flea problem would you be opposed to letting him inside? He would be great company for you with your husband gone.

Labs really are very, very social. I have seen countless Labs who are "outside" dogs and they all seem to manifest the same behavior: Barking all night, and sometimes all day. It is a cry to be with "the pack." They want to be with you.

Angus and Simon are outside in our fenced yard sometimes, but never bark unless there is something to bark at...a person or dog walking by. If a dog is just barking for no apparent reason, I think it most likely has something to do with separation anxiety.

Advantage or Advantix will completely eliminate your flea problem. I have never seen a flea on either of mine. Ditto to the heartworm meds as well.

As far as the car, how about some tasty treats to just come near the car? Then, when he's comfortable with that, more tasty treats for putting front legs up to get in? Then tasty treats for getting inside the car and getting right back out? You see where I'm going...baby steps!

Simon came to us with a fear of the car as well, so I can relate. It took a lot of patience, but now he associates the car with something fun about to happen. Very often dogs are just put in the car to go to the vet. If the vet is a bad experience, they are not going to be very eager to hop in. Simon's first few full car rides were short and ended in fun at the lake, or some other place where he could romp and play.

I know that may not be an option for you just yet with no help at home...just trying to give some insight on why he may be experiencing this fear of getting in the car.

Good luck! I hope you can work it out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure about bringing Jack inside. I WANt too, but we just bought this house a year ago & I'm VERY afraid Jack will destroy it!
I'm going to talk nto the Vet & see what he says.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're taking him to the vet. :)

Please reconsider bringing him in. Buy a crate (they're cheap, under $100) and crate him when you can't supervise him 100%.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
bigalspal said:
I'm not sure about bringing Jack inside. I WANt too, but we just bought this house a year ago & I'm VERY afraid Jack will destroy it!
I'm going to talk nto the Vet & see what he says.
Crate training will take care of that worry. Go to our puppy training section and read the topics there. Even though Jack is a little older, you can treat him as a puppy when it comes to training. He will learn. Labs love to learn new things and can learn quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
had the same problem with my three year old female. barked the whole night. kept us (and probably the neighbors) awake. she stays outside as she has guard duties at night. i found a way to solve the excessive barking by taking her with me in my night time walks. we do 3-5 miles. this releases all her unspent energy and tires her. we both get our exercise and the unnecessary barking stopped. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts