Just Labradors banner

Excessive drooling, licking

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  seankeg 
#1 ·
Hello all. I really hope you can help.

My choc lab is 6 years old. She does this strange thing which happened for the first time around 6 months ago.

She will be totally fine and then suddenly start licking as though she has peanut butter stuck to the roof of her mouth. This is followed by excessive drooling where it drips from her mouth. She sneezes some times too. This lasts for hours! Then she stops and dries up. During this time she still wants food and water and wanted to go play and walks. Then around 4 months later she did it again. Then 2 months later again and now more recently on monday.

During this time she has been to vets who thought nausea the first times and give her injection which didn't help. We know our babies and it wasn't nausea! They took blood's which normal and more recently are looking at next steps.

Please help anyone? Suggestions at all? I've attached video and pictures
Dog Picture frame Carnivore Door Dog breed
Dog Dog breed Working animal Liver Carnivore
Jaw Liver Gesture Working animal Carnivore
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Working animal

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello! I'm no vet but our eight year old Chocolate, Belle, had some similar issues on multiple occasions. The first couple times came after her running and sniffing around in snow. I think she inadvertently ingested a bunch of it and it didn't agree with her. We would wait it out overnight and she was usually fine the next morning. Probably equates to the nausea theory.

The other scenario is a bit more of a problem. Does she get hard chew treats (i.e. antlers) or chew on sticks in the yard? Our Belle did this and it turns out she had cracked a couple of teeth and had to have them pulled. Prior to that, she'd go through these long on and off drooling spells.

After having those teeth removed, she was fine. We cut out hard chew treats and once she got over being angry at us for sending her overnight for a surgery she was back to her normal silly self.

#3 ·
THANK you so much for that. You know what is strange, this happens after snow days..the last three times did! The vet thought I was strange when I mentioned the link with snow. Would be interesting to see if anyone else had this with snow?

She does not have hard chews..I did wonder about her teeth though. Might be worth having the xray to see do you think?

Deborah

#4 ·
Our yellow girl does something similar but not for near that long. Usually it is during snow play and to me it seems she inhales snow which I imagine chills the sinus. The snow definitely brings on the drool for her. I don't know about your girl, but ours has her head under the snow more than above it most of the time, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.