Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Excel for data bases for obits from the old newspapers that I index. Last week my daughter entered 3 years worth on her computer. I have added those to my data base on this one newspaper. Now I need to sort them. I have: column A is newspaper month and day, column B is newspaper year, C in persons name, D is death date & E is a maiden name.

I want to put these in order by newspaper year and the date. How can I sort 2 columns at the same time? I normally sort just the name column as that is how it is but on our web page.

I tried to copy and paste the years into where they needed to be, but it would take out entries that I had in the original data base. Maybe I was doing something wrong then.

Anyone with any ideas?

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Sue, highlight everything you need sorted - all your columns. Then choose Sort from the Data drop down menu.

The first box that pops up says Sort by: and you choose a column and tell it ascending or descending.

Under that there will be a box that says Then by: and you choose another column.

So, I'd put in your Year column first and then your date column. It will look look at the Year column and put everything in order there and then within that order, it will look to the date column next to put things in order within the years.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why can't you just use the "sort by "A" and then by "B", ascending or descending??

P

·
0 Posts
Highlight all the columns, just from the last entry farthest right up to the top left corner. This should be all the info in your database.

Then there is an option at the top of excel called Data, in that drop down is Sort. When you use this it asks which column to sort first, which one next. And because you have highlighted all the data, it will keep the lines consistent. If it moves something because of the date, it will move the entire line.

Does that make sense?

And I'm late with my answer. I type slow apparently ;D

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We (the historical and genealogy society) just updated to Office Professional 2007. When I find the sort (wait until some of you see the new office) I only have a sort by a-z, or z-a. When I click that it only sorts the first column even thought I have everything highlighted. I tried the custom sort and that just messed everything up.

I hate it when something so simple can take forever! Has anyone seen the new Office??

P

·
0 Posts
I'm thinking that sort would be the "button" type.

Look for the text drop downs.....starts with File Edit View .... all going across the top. You should find the word Data up there and it will give you a drop down menu.

Unless the 2007 version is different....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts