Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a chest freezer in our laundry room. I must be somewhat of a pack rat from what I found at the bottom!! Hamburger buns, frozes peas which felt like a brick, soft shell tortillas......you get the idea.
I'd like to have a more organized freezer so I make sure I will use all of this food! I'm wondering if I should fill the bottom with some boxes so the freezer capacity would be smaller (I REALLY have to bend down and over to reach the bottom). I'm also thinking of purchasing some rubbermaid containers so I could put the meat in one box, veggies in the other, and so on. It's hard to keep track of the stuff that's in the freezer.
Any suggestions so I don't have to feel I'm on a archeological dig??? ::)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Gallon size freezer bags with the white strip for writing and a Sharpie. DO NOT FORGET TO WRITE THE DATE! I swear we had stuff from the '80s! Twice a week we vow to eat something out of the freezer instead of piling new stuff on top of older stuff. We went 5 weeks without shopping for more food and were able to eat quite well out of the freezer and pantry.

I can't help with the organizing, not my forte.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Dad restacks theirs at least twice a year and kind of rotates stuff. But for him they get a lot of bulk meat so he does it when he gets a bunch at one time so the new stuff goes on bottom.

We have a smaller freezer I try to keep it sorted somewhat by putting the veggies in the side compartment (it has a small partition in it and a basket) and put lunch meat and stuff in the basket. Other than that we get a bulk of beef once a year and restack then and use on it all year. I buy Chicken/pork chops and other meat as we need them pretty much so I don't worry about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts