Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9012685.html

Infant in hospital, parents charged
Seven-week-old baby fights for life in ‘shocking’ case
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE Staff Reporter
Sun. Jul 26 - 6:06 AM

At the tender age of seven weeks, Baby Jane is in the fight of her life.

That’s because the Halifax infant — the first-born for her 23-year-old parents — is being treated in a lo cal hospital, the victim of alleged child abuse.

And the alleged abusers, who were arrested at a Gottingen Street address after medical personnel contacted Halifax Regional Police, are the very peo ple who gave Jane life and are responsible for her health and well-being — her mother and father.

The unidentified parents are facing charges of ag gravated assault and have been remanded into custo dy, a police spokeswoman said Saturday.

“This is very troubling and shocking to police," Theresa Rath said, “particularly as it involves such a young child who is obviously defenceless."

The parents are due in Halifax provincial court on Wednesday.

Police were called to the IWK Health Centre on Fri day morning. Jane (not her real name) is in the IWK with life-threatening injuries. Ms. Rath would not disclose the nature of those injuries but said the charges against the parents could be upgraded if the infant doesn’t survive.

“For us to lay that (aggravated assault) charge, it has to involve very serious injuries," she said.

Aggravated assault is the most serious assault offence in the Criminal Code.

Police aren’t releasing the ba by’s name and plan to apply to a judge for a publication ban on the parents’ names to protect the little one’s identity, Ms. Rath said.

Paramedics took Jane to hos pital.

“We were contacted Friday morning by the hospital asking for us to attend because they be lieved it was a serious case of child abuse," Ms. Rath said.

Health care professionals “are compelled (by law) to report any suspected cases of child abuse," she said.

The alleged assault happened Thursday evening, Ms. Rath said.

“We were called to a Halifax address in relation to an injured (infant), and Emergency Health Services was requesting police assistance," she said.

At the time, “it was not be lieved that police involvement was required."

According to a provincial gov ernment website, “everyone has the duty to immediately report to a child welfare agency even a suspicion that a child under 16 may be in need of protective ser vices."

Reports may be made anony mously to 1-877-424-1177 or to 1-866-922-2434 on weekends and holidays.

Once a report is made, child protection staff consider the in formation provided to deter*mine whether an investigation is necessary, the website says.

([email protected])

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Between that and the Phoenix story this week about 4 boys ages 9 to 14 sexual assault and rape on an 8 year old girl whose parents no longer want her as she brought shame to the family but want the boys released and not prosecuted as we are all one people is enough to really piss me off. The girl is in state foster care. They were all refugees from Liberia.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/gang_rape_07_22_2009

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Between that and the Phoenix story this week about 4 boys ages 9 to 14 sexual assault and rape on an 8 year old girl whose parents no longer want her as she brought shame to the family but want the boys released and not prosecuted as we are all one people is enough to really piss me off. The girl is in state foster care. They were all refugees from Liberia.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/crime/gang_rape_07_22_2009
In Lineria, as in some other African cultures, that is a common mindset. In their minds (the parents), they did the right thing. It is obviously wrong, I am only saying that the parents position in this case is because of the culture they came from, not because they are necessarily evil people. Obviously, that mindset should be changed. It was not the little girls fault..especially an 8 year old! Hopefully, the little girl will be given a decent life by some good people. Can the authorities not prosecute these boys independently of these parents? They will do this again to someone else. If she were my daughter, well, won't go there.

As for these two scum in Canada, I can think of a few things that should be done to them. First thing is I would have them sterilized. No more kids for them. Then, we would go from there. I have no use for nor patience for anyone who preys upon someone or something that is helpless.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Yes the boys are all still in custody and the oldest is being charged as an adult. I realize their culture teaches them that but the left Liberia because of the war and acts like that it is time they leave that part of their old world behind also.

The little girl is in foster care. I heard from a friend that works for the local children's hospital that their social worker with the state child protective services says the girl was taken in by a family that has a woman who was the victim of child abuse and her husband also counsels victims so she should get all the love and support she needs.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
How sad. Those two deserve to be sterilized so they cannot reproduce again. How anyone can hurt a defenseless baby is beyond belief. Like it was said in a previos reply...stories like that just hurt my heart. :(

Not sure if there is a just punishment for those two. Death would ne too easy. :mad:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
How sad. Those two deserve to be sterilized so they cannot reproduce again. How anyone can hurt a defenseless baby is beyond belief. Like it was said in a previos reply...stories like that just hurt my heart. :(

Not sure if there is a just punishment for those two. Death would ne too easy. :mad:
Boiling in water for an hour would sterilize them.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Maybe staring at a picture of their child, while they rot in jail! Or would they even get it:mad:
I'll hold out for the boiling water.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
this makes me feel physically sick. How could they? How could anybody?

I am extremely upset by this news article. Omg.... I am speechless. That poor darling little girl. :'(

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I don't understand people that abuse a baby in any way. If they didn't want the baby they could take it to any hospital and leave it for adoption, no questions asked. I don't know if this is just MN Law, or national. Of course, I have no idea what the laws are in Canada.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts