Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just browzing the "craig's list" type listing for my area. There are many many posts from people looking for free dogs because "they cannot afford the hundreds of dollars people ask for puppies".

I'm sorry. I know you don't need to be rich to raise a dog but, it's still costly when it comes to vet bills. Even if you forgo the spay/neuter the puppy shots are in the hundreds of dollars. Heck, I just paid $80 over the weekend for Rocky's heart warm blood test and medication. I haven't even gone in for the yearly shots and never mind if anything is wrong with him. (and yes I realize with a small dog the cost is lower but still).

I just don't get it.

Also - what do you make of an add about someone looking for a dog (not saying it has to be free) and how they worked with vets for years and would have plenty of time for their dog. It sounds ... too good. I would think anyone who's worked with vets would know about humane societies nad rescues and wouldn't be posting such an add??

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I don't want to even do the math to figure out how many hundreds (probably a couple thousand) dollars my "free" Lab has cost me so far.

I am sure that there is an awful lot of garbage in the craigslist ads.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
A friend of mine has a husband who thinks "dogs should be free" and he'd never pay for a dog. They can certainly afford the upkeep on a dog, that's not the issue. He's just rather obtuse when it comes to some things.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A friend of mine has a husband who thinks "dogs should be free" and he'd never pay for a dog. They can certainly afford the upkeep on a dog, that's not the issue. He's just rather obtuse when it comes to some things.
He needs to become a little more familiar with the phrase "Sometimes, you get what you pay for"

Sometimes in bold because we all know you can get a great dog for free.. But sometimes....

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I know this and you know this, but sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks ... in this case the old dog is the guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only Lab I every paid for was Magnum and he cost us $275 in 1994. His vet bills were fairly cheap, but Dusty who was free cost $3500 for TPLO and $140 every 3 months for allergy shots. This doesn't count the numerous visits when his allergies got really bad or his yearly's. Ria who was free because she was Magnum's stud fee. When people are looking for a Lab, I tell them the price you pay for your Lab is cheap to what the vet bills and other bills will be.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I had an email from somebody looking for a free cat because she wanted to buy an automatic litter box ...

gah

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I had an email from somebody looking for a free cat because she wanted to buy an automatic litter box ...

gah

That cracks me up. People are so stupid. She'd take a cat just to use the litter box? Idiot. No, I really don't think it's funny, it just reads that way until you think about it. Would they even know how to care for a cat?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Maybe our rescue groups need to run listings in Craig's List. Even rescues are not free however. They will provide a dog that healthy and neutered for a nominal fee.
Most pure breeds have a rescue component that have beautiful dogs up for adoption.

Actually no one should ever give a puppy away for free. There are too many unscrupulous people out there who collect free dogs then resell them or use them as bait dogs to train a dog for fights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts