Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And check your brake lights on your car and make sure they are working.

My nice peaceful 12 mile surface street commute was changed to 28 miles of freeway driving when my office moved last month. You would not believe the number of cars I see on the freeway with one or both brake lights out. Yesterday I switched lanes so as not to follow a Jeep with no brake lights. Today he (or his twin) was off on the side of the road causing a long traffic back up due to being rear ended.

About 5 miles later I merged onto the second freeway I now take and again the car in front of me has no brake lights. Now this is stop and go rush hour traffic in Phoenix. I had a cop on my tail so when I switched lanes he was behind her. The first traffic slow down we came to he nailed her for no brake lights...I felt bad but I wasn't about to take the risk of rear ending her if she slammed on her brakes which happens in stop and go rush hour traffic.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Um... I can, and have, replaced my own brake lights. See recent thread.
The difficulty is in knowing you have a light out at all! How would you know?
A good Samaritan in the grocery store told me about mine.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Um... I can, and have, replaced my own brake lights. See recent thread.
A good Samaritan in the grocery store told me about mine.
It tis easy, just back up near the garage or similar type solid object after dark, or in the garage in the day time will work. Put on the brakes and look in the rear view mirror, can turn it around and check the front.

Works for head lights, park lights, turn signals, tail lights, old bodymans trick, when folks work on commission they don't want to stand around I see if the lights work on someone else's job, you don't make money doing that.;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It tis easy, just back up near the garage or similar type solid object after dark, or in the garage in the day time will work. Put on the brakes and look in the rear view mirror, can turn it around and check the front.

Works for head lights, park lights, turn signals, tail lights, old bodymans trick, when folks work on commission they don't want to stand around I see if the lights work on someone else's job, you don't make money doing that.;)
I do it that way all the time.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Mine get checked nearly every day. When I come back to the car, my brake lights are nearly always on because there's a Pug sitting on the floor leaning against the brake pedal. :)

Of course if you don't have a spare Pug laying around, you could always take Glen's advice. ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am with you on this one! I also change lanes when I notice no brake lights on the vehicle in front of me! Gotta always check 'em!!
Ditto - I will not stay behind a vehicle without brake lights if at all possible, and I try to let them know if it's not on a highway.

I also check using Del's trick, or just have someone stand behind me and look.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Glen! How logical. Thanks! :)

Back in the 70's when I worked on mostly VW Beetles I had a spot on the shop floor for the front tires and two red X's on the shop door. Could have the headlighs aligined in ess time than it took to get the fancy gizmo out of the case.:D

But it only works if you have vehicles of the same exact size.:D

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I have a little message pop up on the dash board when any of my bulbs pop. it tells me which one and refuses to go off until I get them changed...good little feature which makes sure you keep on top of things.

Nothing more scary than almost rear ending someone who gives you no warning that they are about to stop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts