Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the "every 15 minutes" program at their kids' school?

One of our engineers at our company has two daughters participating today. I guess a policemen is going to walk into our building today to notify the engineer about his daughter dying in a drunk driving accident.

If you kids did participate in this, how were they effected? I hope it reaches at least some of our kids.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My boys high school had a program that brought in wrecked cars that were a result of drunk driving, and yes i would hope it hit home to alot of the kids, they did the program in may each year just before prom and grad. My husband used to reconstruct crime scenes for insurance companies, and he had some gruesome and sad stories.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
They do this in my town and I've seen it in action. It brings many kids to tears and give them quite a surprise. Even if it only help one kid, I say it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My high school used to do this. They would tap someone ( the reaper did it) hand them a bacl t shirt with a DD scenerio and the person tapped could not speak fo rht erest of the day. The also placed a tomb stone on their lockers. That was 10 years ago now they do mock accident scenes complete with wrecked car and jaws of life and went as far as to mock a funeral and arrest. Starting in 94 the school I lost has lost someone to a car accident for 10 yrs running. Neighboring schools have also only a few involved aclohol. Hoever I think they are a driving force to change the drivers license ages. There is no way to get it at 16 now and you cn nto have anyone under 18 in the car with you until you have had your license 2 years.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't post this with my first message....here is the email the engineer sent out:

"...Every 15 minutes someone in the US is killed by a drunk driver.

Tomorrow, April 19th, my daughters (names deleted) are participating in a dramatic event at their school. The event simulates a drinking-related traffic accident on campus.

In this simulation, two students will be 'killed' in a staged car crash and another will be arrested and taken into custody by the Loveland Police Department for driving while under the influence.
Other students will also be involved to act as injured passengers and/or pedestrians.

The overall effect of this simulation should be very profound, and in the weeks preceding many high school proms, should have a very positive affect on the awareness of underage drinking
and how it can change lives.

Since my kids are participants in this program, I will be notified by the Loveland Police Department that one or both of them have been killed in a drinking-related traffic accident. The
notification will most likely be performed in-person by a uniformed member of the police department. This experience should be interesting, to put it mildly.
I'm not sure of the timeframe of this notification, probably early afternoon.

If you would like more information about this program, please visit their website at www.every15minutes.com. The program has been widely used to raise awareness and the program
is popular among high school student councils. I encourage you to learn more and maybe help set this up at your local school!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts