Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread got me thinking about an experience the other day in the park.

I was walking my 6 MO at the park. We were offleash (in a more secluded section) and i was with another owner who with their dog offleash, and ours play together. They saw in the distance a dog offleash and they warned me that that dog did not like puppies, so i quickly leashed mine, however the other dog in the distance, their owners did not. As we approached ( i always remain calm, and not try to project tenseness in a situation that the dogs might pick up on) i wanted to work from the mindset everything would be fine. Well this other dog started to go after mine and i had to pull him away from this other dog taking potshots at mine who was on a leash(while the other dog wasn't), but fortunately never made contact. The other owner brazenly says.. "OH he doesn't get along with puppies" as they made NO attempt to restrain their dog..... so I said put your **** dog on a f-*!$%in leash then!!

Chuy was rather surprised at this other dogs behavior, and being a lab, had no interest in trying to escalate this little issue, and we were able to continue on our way....but i tell ya, that dog was 1 more attack at my dog, from getting a serious lesson in who was the top alpha dog... me. ;D I would not have hesitated in flattening that dog(as much as i would hate to) but in order to protect mine.

Being a dog lover, I hope i never have to get into such a situation, but I was curious what lengths people have gone to to protect their pack???

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Oh wow...I would use whatever force was necessary to protect Tal. And I would be more than happy to explain to the other owner that if they properly cared for their dog the incident would not have happened.

I take Tal to a secluded area of the park when I play fetch with him. Similar to what you describe, I am at a place where I can see from both directions in plenty of time to get him leashed. So far have never had a problem.

I was in our own yard one day though and saw two unleashed dogs suddenly appear. No collar...tags...human in sight. I was able to get Tal inside without incident. I would be the last person who would want to injure or kill a dog. But if Tal were threatened, I would not hesitate.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, and i think it would be understood by the dog as well. It's surprising how much 'pack mentality' humans have as well. Just like i would defend a family member at all costs. You mess with one, you mess with the pack. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
If another dog jumped one of mine, as much as I love dogs, I think I would be capable of becoming quite vicious. Good judgement would probably go out the window, too. :-[

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
A couple of times at the dog park- but it was usually against other dogs being too amorous.

With her hips being sore, she likes to walk around and smell stuff. When other owners let their dogs jump on her and hump her it drives me nuts- I yell at their dogs and yank them off. I'm going to start carrying a water bottle.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
There's this one guy at the dog park, he has a border collie. Really sweet dog, but HOLY is he hyper, and loves to hump ANYTHING.
He just pounces on Sam, and always comes at him from his blind side. Sam has snapped at him a couple times because of this (he's gotten better since getting used to his change of vision), but it just pisses me off when the guy says "Ohhhh Max, I think you're bothering him. *then to me* It's OK, he won't hurt him".
I've asked him numorous times to call off his dog when he does this because other people get really annoyed as well.
Argh.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I have kicked another person's dog that attacked Jes when he was a puppy. I'd have no problem doing it again. If you can't control your dog - leash it. I'm sure I wouldn't be happy if someone kicked my dog, but I wouldn't have much room to complain if I knew Jes was aggressive (which he's not) and I didn't leash him (which I do in public).

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a dog that was fullsize come into the small dog area when Timber was a pup. The idiot owner didnt do a **** thing till Timber's head was in its mouth. We went a few weeks later and the same dog was there. That time it got a swift kick to the head. It was either that dog had a nice headache or mine was dead--I chose mine.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I know this thread refers to other dogs in particular threatening ours, but I also feel the same way if another human tried to attack. Like you I keep him leashed in public unless we are at the park and it I know he will be ok. I get really testy when anyone in my pack, human or animal, is threatened.

·
Registered
459 Posts
We always carry dog spray and usually a 'walking stick' of some sort when we are walking with Zakk. This is just in case we encounter another animal that is not friendly. I would have no problem hitting another animal to defend Zakk, my wife, or myself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MickeysMommy said:
Do you mean against other dogs attacking or other animals in general?
actually i'd be interested in stories of either! Just flat out absolute instinctive defense of our packs....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
curly said:
We always carry dog spray and usually a 'walking stick' of some sort when we are walking with Zakk. This is just in case we encounter another animal that is not friendly. I would have no problem hitting another animal to defend Zakk, my wife, or myself.
Zakk is a gorgeous chocolate! I have one myself, i hope he turns out how Zakk looks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The owner of my business had his yellow lab attacked and mauled by a Rot/Pit Bull mix... The dog is OK after $4000.00 in vet bills and a year of pain... I plan to protect my puppy as best possible. I am wondering what is the best way to seperate two fighting dogs as it is difficult to tell what can happen when you meet another dog...

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Here are some methods I can recall reading or witnessing. These are roughly in order of least invasive to last resort:

1) Air horn, banging metal dishes together, other loud surprising noise (not yelling)
2) Water or hose on dogs (have tried and it works)
3) Throwing a blanket, shirt, coat, etc. over dog(s) head
4) Grab back legs of aggressor (up high, near hip), lifting off the ground and wheeling dog away from victim. Or, if there are two people, grabbing both dogs' legs and wheeling them away from each other
5) Hold onto your hat. I actually read this: For a dog that has locked on and won't let go, such as a bully breed might, inserting a small stick, straw, etc. into the dog's anus. :eek: Not sure how you would manage to do this, but there it was. FWIW.

Of course, you don't want to put yourself in the middle of the fray if at all possible. Never reach into a dog fight - it is highly likely you will be bitten.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
AngusFangus said:
Here are some methods I can recall reading or witnessing. These are roughly in order of least invasive to last resort:

1) Air horn, banging metal dishes together, other loud surprising noise (not yelling)
2) Water or hose on dogs (have tried and it works)
3) Throwing a blanket, shirt, coat, etc. over dog(s) head
4) Grab back legs of aggressor (up high, near hip), lifting off the ground and wheeling dog away from victim. Or, if there are two people, grabbing both dogs' legs and wheeling them away from each other
5) Hold onto your hat. I actually read this: For a dog that has locked on and won't let go, such as a bully breed might, inserting a small stick, straw, etc. into the dog's anus. :eek: Not sure how you would manage to do this, but there it was. FWIW.

Of course, you don't want to put yourself in the middle of the fray if at all possible. Never reach into a dog fight - it is highly likely you will be bitten.
Great ideas. Well, except for #5...I think I would try most anything else first..lol. The second class of obed school the 10 month old Pit started after a GSD mix. They were quick to break it up. One of the trainers grabbed the pit by the tail...key thing is to keep your body parts away from the dogs' mouths like you said!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
"Guard Alaska" Bear Spray.

I take this with us EVERY morning when Puff & I walk in the Nature Preserve (just in case)

It's a more potent spray than mace and it sprays MUCH farther (20-25 feet) and has quite a bit more volume.

When I used to bike or walk near the trails Puff and I now walk each morning, I'd sometimes see offleash dogs running wild. I had no idea if they were friendly or not but I wanted to take no chances with Puff.

So I researched it: Our Topeka city ordinances prohibit shock devices (my first thought and choice) within city limits.

Fortuitously, as it happened. ;D

The "Guard Alaska" is MUCH lighter, takes no recharging, and maybe would also protect ME as well (although bandits at 7 AM are not as likely as later in the day -- I think not many thugs are "morning people").

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I have had to defend my dogs several times. I don't like hurting animals but if one is attacking mine I am not going to just stand there -- I will do everything in my power to remove them. Most of the time the "owners" couldn't give a crap. Once, my boy Trick was attacked by a Boxer and I had to kick the dog to remove it as it had him pinned down by the throat. The owner glanced at what was happening and continued to walk. Didn't call the dog, didn't say sorry. Nothing. I shouted some expletives her way and reported her to the dog warden.

Another story that happened to a nice older lady friend of mine. She was walking her two Whippet/Bedlington Terrier crosses when an off leash Spaniel attacked her youngest, causing puncture wounds. The owner of the Spaniel told her that "Smudge doesn't like puppies". This was AFTER the dog had attacked. My friend reported her to both the police (dangerous dog) and the dog warden. The dog was ordered to wear a muzzle while out in public. Now, I see the Spaniel owner walking the dog with the muzzle in her hand. "I only put it on if I see a small dog coming". :mad:

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Emma has been attacked by other dogs many times. Last time was last summer.

It was a very ugly experience, but thank God she didn't get hurt. I defended her with the leash, but it was just a nylon leash so the dog hardly felt it. I had to hit the dog several times before it let Emma go. If I could do it all over again I wish I had kicked it away.

That dog was not normal. It came in full speed, no greeting, no sniffing, just attacked poor Emma from behind. She laid on the back trying to defend herself as good as she could. She was on her back with her belly showed to the dog. She showed the attacking dog that she was submissive, but it just continued go after her throat. :mad: The owners come running and threatened us both to death ::)

Another time a few years back a F---ing ***** (the human kind) smacked Emma with a leather leash in her face. She yelped so badly. :( Just because of she wanted to greet the other dog. I was NOT attentive enough so after the dog had passed us Emma went after it to say hello. I called her, but she had already get to the other dog and they were sniffing at eachother. So I walked there to put the leash on Emma and say hello to the owner. Then I just sees how she smackes Emma right over her nose. :( :mad:

I was soooo mad. I told her she could have told me to put a leash on my dog. It wasn't Emma's fault,It was mine: I wasn't attentive enough. I called that woman some very nasty things, I was sooo upset and angry. I don't regret any of the things I said to her, she deserved it! I thought about smacking her dog so she would know how it felt. But it wasn't her dogs fault, so of course I didn't do it. I got a better idea: I wanted to smack the owner very hard in her face. But I didn't do it... she would probably called the police... ::) But I soooo wish I had done it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts